Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Thread: Am I Slow???

My main home is in the UK but it happens that we travel to visit family
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can only finish granny squares in one sitting I made 6 once to make them into coasters and then decorated the edge with ribbon of a contrasting colour. Any big project I take at least a week!
    FairyNatB

Post Thanks / Like
    The only time I can go can go quickly is if the pattern is very repetitious. Once I have it memorized, I can go pretty quickly but it has to be simple and require a lot counting and changing stitches. Those patterns slow me way down too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not fast either! It always amazes me when I see ppl crochet (& knit) at Light Speed"....

Post Thanks / Like
    We need to start a new support group called "I'm Slow - So What". I have been on the "easy" patterns for 3 years. Just this week I tried an intermediate project. I finished it in less than a week. I have found that I have to begin to try to do intermediate projects in order to get better. By the way, my chemo cap came out good. I did have to make some alterations. It was a cap which started from the bottom-up. I never thought it would look like a cap, but it did.

5. Likes crochettoo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Rose ann,

Good job! I have not done hats as of yet. I mainly have done afghans. I will have to venture out in the near future!

Post Thanks / Like
    The important part if finishing.

Sometimes I cruise right along and finish a ton. Other times it seems I have more yarn to frog than I crocheted.

Post Thanks / Like
    Join the new group -- The Slow-Poke group. It is a support group for those of us who need encouragement to keep on going and finsh our projects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Join the "Slow-Poke" group. I just take forever to finish a project -- I am usually sick of it before I finish. This group will give encouragement to those of us who are sloooow.

rose ann

Post Thanks / Like
    If I'm working a pattern that I've done many times before, then I'm much faster then when working something new. I do have a few 'make it in a weekend' patterns in the shop for afghans because that's how long it takes me to complete one.

However, I was working on a beautiful fisherman style sweater for myself one winter and got distracted after doing the body (front and back). The weather had started to warm up so I set it aside to work on other more pressing things.

I forgot completely about it until the following November when I ran across it while looking for something else and though to myself that I really needed to finish that sweater.

BUT, I'd not written down any notes about the sweater, other than the size hook I was using, and my sketch for the neckline. I wanted a V-neck but I'd not made any notes about how I was going to finish it.

So I had to sit for one entire evening trying to figure out the pattern by looking at the front of the sweater. Once I'd figured out what I'd done, I made myself write out the sleeve pattern before I started it.

I did finish the sweater that week, but it taught me one very good lesson.

Always write things down, even if you plan on picking up the project the following day!

The finished sweater can be seen here
    Blue Denims Sweater - front | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    That is an awesome sweater and great advice! My old brain manages to forget what hook I was using on a project I started 2 days ago.

I've started creating an inventory of my yarn, a log of completed projects, and a log of 'in progress' projects - all with pictures. (I love Evernote!) If I'm disciplined enough to keep it up, I know it will bring huge benefits!