Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like

Have problems reading "Crochet Patterns"! Can anyone suggest something to help me???

I really love to crochet...a beginner...but find that most crochet patterns are difficult to read. Would really appreciate it if someone could suggest something to help me?

2. Likes marybethblus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

Reading patterns is also difficult for me - I do much better watching videos and following along. But one thing which is helpful when learning to read patterns is to learn what each symbol or lettering means. For example, sc means single crochet, dc means double crochet. Many patterns will give you the meanings of each symbol within the pattern, but sometimes they do not.

Be patient - we will have more tips coming your way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the group. I'm Jan. Barb is right. The best way to read a pattern is to be able to understand what the symbols mean and to also have a mental picture of what it is. It is not only important to know that dc means double crochet but that you have a mental picture of what it looks like. YouTube has an abundance of tutorials to help you completely understand what the symbols and abbreviations mean. Plus, you can watch them as many times as you need to in order to understand them. Also. if you get stuck in a pattern or do not understand it, there is always someone on here willing to guide you thru it and help you understand it. I hope this helps you a little. You will find that we are not only friendly but helpful as well. Have fun.--Jan

5. Likes Barbara G., AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you're a beginner having a mental picture is going to draw a blank. I'd recommend spending time watching YouTube. Barbara G. has posted a whole bunch of links in the Links & Resources Forum. It has helped me a lot!

Stay calm & crochet on!

Lynn E :-)

7. Likes Barbara G. liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    If I am having trouble with a problem with a pattern, I read it out loud while I'm doing the stitches! I get funny looks when I'm out in public but it does work! And take one stitch at a time, do that stitch, and go on to the next stitch, etc! After all, a crochet pattern is just a bunch of stitches put together! And ask any questions you may have!

9. Likes Barbara G., KathyL. liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    here a video that might help..

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Howdie; um sometimes reading ahead makes the pattern seem overwhelming....take one row at a time, sometime even breaking that down helps me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you for helping me...about reading patterns!!!

I did go on youtube last night & that did help!!! It just makes me feel really bad that a lot of the patterns are hard for me to read. A great big thanks to all of you for helping me so very much.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I started crocheting years ago I got myself a how to book and had to use that for a long time, this is how I learned to read patterns. Hope this will help you.