Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Dsynr, for answering a question lurking in the back of my mind! There is a shop that has hundreds of those cones with thin thread. I'm going to pick up a few and try it out...using my "YARD" winder. I am sooo embarrassed by that typo I could just hide! And I told Landon I proofread everything...obviously NOT!

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Lynn, they still put erasers on pencils, don't they? We all make mistooks. I'm a Secretary in my non-crafting life and I not only make typos, I sometimes miss them when I proof. I don't proof thoroughtly when I'm posting; but if I see a typo, I can usually edit it out. I've got a few posts with missed errors, and if I can't be forgiven for rushing to get my thoughts on the screen, I apologize.
    That said, I found winding different colors together made a "tweed" look when I knit and slashes and backslashes of different colors when I crochet.

Since I got a lot of black, almost all the "made" yarns have black in them.
    Mixed with the yellowy orange, it made the spare roll cover, floor mat and curtains for the bathroom appear brown.
    The throw for DD's bed has red in the mix, so it is sort of brownish with red flicks looking sort of like the sprinkles on ice cream. there are several bathcloths made from this combination as well.

The antimacassars and chair sets in the livingroom have no black and is a mix of these: aqua/very light blue/bright apple green/pale, washed-out looking grey/white and looks like a aqua-green tweed.

The hood and wristwarmers I made for myself: green/blue/yellow/black appear like tweed also.

I've gotten some other interesting combinations and I still have quite a bit of "made" yarn left.

TIP: To make it easier to catch typos, proofread BACKWARDS.

Post Thanks / Like
    AHA! Had I only known that proofreading tip during my stint as a clerk. Back in dark ages if you didn't know shorthand you didn't qualify to be a secretary. The first word processor (not a computer) in the office was a Wang. No auto save, no spell check...lotsa fun! LOL!

Ooh! Ooh! I have GOT to try the thread thing! Were you able to put a twist on all the threads being wound together? I've been toying with the idea of modifying a lazy susan. Maybe I'll just get a pottery wheel instead and while learning how to throw clay (lots of research before actually touching any clay) the wheel could be modified.

OMG! I just realized I'm an eccentric, 'still in the closet' inventor!