Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the good ideas of colors. I need to make an afghan for my son & daughter-in-law with those colors. The thing I'm trying to find is a pattern that the stitches come out tight with not a lot of "holes" in it. My son hates getting his toes caught in the holes of the crochet. I don't knit so if anyone knows of a pattern please let me know. My alternative would be to make what I decide and then get him a bag of socks to wear when he uses the afghan!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb7 View Post
    Thanks for the good ideas of colors. I need to make an afghan for my son & daughter-in-law with those colors. The thing I'm trying to find is a pattern that the stitches come out tight with not a lot of "holes" in it. My son hates getting his toes caught in the holes of the crochet. I don't knit so if anyone knows of a pattern please let me know. My alternative would be to make what I decide and then get him a bag of socks to wear when he uses the afghan!!
    Hi Barb7,
    Have you considered just a plain sc, hdc or dc pattern using your colors as stripes to make the pattern?

Post Thanks / Like
    gold and green

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Barb7, Have you tried Hooked on Crochet web-site? They have all kinds of free afghan patterns. Also, there is a real good site called Crochet Pattern Central Directory. You may already know about these sites, but maybe it will help someone else. Good luck with your project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some shades of yellow if it matches fall leaf color yellow

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you thought of using any of the variegated yarns in the fall shades? Then you could pull some of the colors from them out to use for solid colored ones.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I just noticed the Red Heart Cherrycola yarn that I have is in the fall colors too. browns, oranges, a little pink.

Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Barb. Just make a long chain of about 200 or so and then sc, hdc or dc rows back and forth. In a variegated, this might be absolutely beautiful. Or do 5 rows of each of each color for broader stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Your son isn't the only one who likes an afghan with no holes Barb7. I have used several patterns, one is called the seed stitch, which is *1-SC, 1-DC* Cont. this pattern all the way across, (one stitch per prev. stitch- don't put them in the same stitch together) There are tutorials on Youtube. It is an easy pattern, The second row you alternate doing the opposite stitch over top of prev. row to keep it smooth. It isn't a real heavy afghan though. So if you need one that is warmer you will need a different stitch. However it has more the look of a knit stitch rather then crocheted.

Judi G

Quote Originally Posted by Barb7 View Post

Post Thanks / Like
    My family doesn't like holes in the afghans either. No matter how pretty it is, if it has holes, they don't want it. Toes and fingers get caught in them and they claim they aren't as warm. Good luck with your project. I like Judi Gums seed stitch, too.