Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Crochetgal, I had not thought of that.

Post Thanks / Like
    crochetgal that is very correct and insightful. thanks for the info. I too, like ginny2228 have sold some of my creations and am currently building an inventory to participate in local craft and fiber art shows in my neighborhood. I also want to get some advertising out there about what i have already made, designs i am capable of and customers ability to custom order if they so wish. i can always use business advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ginny, I've done a few items for people and I don't normally charge anything, but if they ask how much I charge I say you pay for the yarn plus X number of dollars and it's yours. I did that a few times when I was a patient in a nursing home a few years back. I sold 2 afghans for $50 each plus yarn and I sell my dishcloths for 2-5 depending on the pattern. I do a lot of fun pattern dishcloths so it costs them more because I have to use my brain a bit more than usual. Brain use is kind of expensive. So I hope maybe I have helped. What type of items are you trying to price and maybe I can help from knowing that. I've sold a bunch but I'm not in it for the money just for extra money for my crocheting hobby. Enjoy!!!! Betty
    Quote Originally Posted by ginny2228 View Post
    I am not sure this is the correct place to put this question.
    I have several people asking me to crochet something for them that I did for the cancer center patients. How does one decide how to charge for their time when doing this? I have just been charging them for the yarn, but this has more and more asking me to make something.
    Thanks for any guidance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I try to judge what I would pay for an item and then ask my husband if it is fair.... He does really well at pricing my stuff. I also have a web sight you can go check out for my pricing and shipping is extra, but I only charge postage + mailing materials. I do not make money on Shipping/Handeling. I to try to keep my projects priced for all to buy. My web sight Creations By Cheryl C - Home. Then go to my catalog pages to get my pricing. I have sold some stuff and others I am still waiting to sell but I'm also open for offers, I don't want to loose a sale because of a few dollars, but that also means that I will not give my projects away either. I do not get paid for the time invested for a hourly wage. I do recover my costs (usually double) plus a little extra for time but I always tell mt people that not only do they get a well made item, they also get a piece of my heart, as I Love to crochet and each item is part of me. I hope this helps. Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Everyone has a diferent idea how much should be charged. I was told once that it might be good to determine how much time you spend making a particular project. When you know how long it takes then you can "pay yourself" whatever minimum wage is and multiply it times the number of hours it took to make. of course if you are using expensive yarn that might factor in too. I made an afghan and determined how long it took me to complete the number of rows that make up the pattern. It came out that if I paid myself minimum wage I would have charged no less than $365 for that afghan (not a baby afghan). I gave it to my son as a gift......I live with him and he takes care of me and has for the past 5 years so he deserved it.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is also something I learned from previously taking special requests....I made Christening sets(complete with matching blankets),afghans and sweater sets, only to have the customers change their minds.....make sure you get a deposit to cover the cost of your materials FIRST. If they back out, they lose their deposit, and you aren't out the cost. I was a slow learner,too trusting. That's why I only make "Gifts" now...or donations for Charity.

Post Thanks / Like
    Betty, these are hats, shawls, baby blankets and lap throws. Thanks for your help. Ginny

Post Thanks / Like

What to charge for crocheted items

Quote Originally Posted by AuntyD View Post
    This is also something I learned from previously taking special requests....I made Christening sets(complete with matching blankets),afghans and sweater sets, only to have the customers change their minds.....make sure you get a deposit to cover the cost of your materials FIRST. If they back out, they lose their deposit, and you aren't out the cost. I was a slow learner,too trusting. That's why I only make "Gifts" now...or donations for Charity.
    I agree with you. I mostly give gifts because most people do not want to pay what a handmade item is worth. They want WalMart prices. I had a friend ask me to make an baby afghan for her to give as a gift. Since she is a friend I said I would charge her $25. She was shocked and said "$25? I'll make it myself for that." She does not know how to crochet so obviously she never made it. I thought I was charging her a "friends' discount" but she felt like it wasn't worth that. Sometimes I just make hats and scarves and etc. and then I show them to my friends and tell them how much I am selling them for. some will buy and some will not. I taught a young man how to do a single crochet and showed him how to make a simple hat working in the back loops only. He sold hats for $20 to young people and they were happy to pay that. Go figure!!!

9. Likes AuntyD liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it depends on the customer and how well they know the area you are working in. I hear at times too, I can get that at Walmart. Well, no you can't. But they think you can or they don't want to pay what you and your handmade items are worth. Then they aren't who you want to sell to. I want customers who appreciate my hard work and who recognize quality when they see it. And I have a few of those too!
    But yes there are all sorts of customers out there. I think the trick is to be able to discern in who they are.

Post Thanks / Like

What Do I Charge For Things I Have Made?

I to have wondered what to charge for things I make. I most of the time question myself as to what I would pay if I had something I was going to sale. I have never sold anything, but now more and more people are asking me to. The lady that designs my patterns, told me that she is in a large crocheting club and they charge $1.00 per inch. Meaning like my wall hangings: "Wall Hanging is 18 X 25 inches." and the price for this Wall Hanging would be at the least $42.00

The largest Wall Hanging I have made is 30" X 38" and the price would be at the least $68.00. The pattern designer who designed most all of my Wall Hangings told me that I need to sale it for no less than $100.

She tells me I need to sale item and to keep into consideration as to I am selling it to also. That is like the "Name" Wall Hanging I am making right now is actually more time involved that some others I have made.

A lady who saw the Wall Hanging I am working on now,offered me $100 to make one for her granddaughter that was just born. So what do you do?