Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Thread: Help please

Post Thanks / Like
    I think the other crocheters have answered your questions but read that you grit your teeth when you are crocheting. That is not a good habit and will make your face and jaw ache after a while. I used to clench my jaw until I got so tired of the pain in my face. I started sticking the tip of my tongue between my front teeth so that the pain would remind me to relax my jaw. It helped me to stop the habit. Talking out loud will also help to loosen your muscles - can't grit your teeth if your mouth is moving. If you plan on talking I highly recommend having one of those things you stick in your ear to talk on the phone to lessen the weird stares you will get if you are out in public. Gritting your teeth is a sign you are not relaxed when you crochet, are you not enjoying the zen of crochet? Are you focused on the finished product being perfect? Perfection is highly over-rated and unattainable. I used to be like that with cooking until I started watching Julia Child on PBS (I'm very old). One day she was demonstrating the art of the omelet and burned one. She picked up the pan and flipped the contents over her shoulder and it smacked against the wall with such a satisfying THWAP! She just smiled and cautioned against letting any food intimidate you. She also used to say that no matter how the recipe turned out, just say "I meant it to look like that". It relaxed me and allowed me to truly enjoy the process of cooking and crocheting and life in general. If I were you, I would just stuff the booties with tissue paper so they looked the same size. Nobody else, especially the person receiving the gift, is going to be as critical as you are. They will probably be thrilled that you worked so hard and hand made them this wonderful gift. Besides, once the baby realizes that if he kicks his foot with enough momentum the booties will fly across the room, the Mom will be too busy retrieving and replacing the booties to notice the difference in size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Barbless the act makes my jaws hurt something fierce. I found a receipe for slaty carmels and I have been using those to remind myself. I store them in freezer bags in the freezer. I won"t run out anytime soon. Thank you so much for your reply. I apprciate it. I remember watching julia also. We must be close to the same age. I am 66, almost 67.

Post Thanks / Like
    CrochetGal, that is the best advice I've read in a long time! I crocheted a set of four place mats and they all ended up slightly different sizes. My sister commented on it and I said, "that's homemade for you"!

Post Thanks / Like
    Another solution could be try making another pair and mix and match w/ the first set....lol

5. Likes Landon liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't make another pair. Just make one and see which size it turns out. You may end up with a pair! LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    I love the suggestion from Crochetgal of working a little at a time on each one. I would also double check each row by putting the together and seeing if they were the same size as you go.

Best of luck.
    Judi G

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, i find because I am ambidextrous and crochet w/both hands that it is usually the tension. If I do a slight pulling on the bootie it will show where it is loose. But in my case it is more often than not that I have an extra stitch. Congrats on the new baby, how wonderful for you. I have 19 gr-kids ages from 3 - 18 yrs and told them all they have to at least wait til they are 25 b4 they have kids...lol Happy crocheting

Post Thanks / Like
    crochetgal, I do the same thing with mittens, too. Anthing that you're doing in pairs.

Post Thanks / Like
    My tension changes with what mood I'm in so doing a little on each one at the same time makes sense to me. Congrats on the grandbabies.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am on my fifth set now and still don"t have a pair!!!! LOL