Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 First 1234 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    I'm glad you're not afraid to ask questions when you get stuck. Did you crochet 27 rows so far or did you just read the pattern and you don't understand rows 28 and 29? Sometimes I don't understand a pattern and I figure it out when crocheting (because when you crochet it you can see your stitches and your work) or sometimes I still need help. The end of row 27 says you will have 5 thick rows for the brim of the hat, (so crocheting down the side of the brim is crocheting down the side of the 5 thick rows). When you get to the bottom of the 5 thick rows or (base of the hat) then you sc in ea st until you reach the seam, ss to join and ch 1.

It sounds to me that the seam is the one you just made at the beginning of row 28 but if that's what they mean then crocheting until you reach the seam is crocheting around the entire hat but by crocheting until you reach the seam might mean to crochet until you reach the other side of the thick rows. (Is there a seam on the other side of the thick rows? (on row 28 you put a seam in by crocheting down to the base or bottom of the thick rows (the bottom of the first thick row) - the other side of the seam that you put in on row 28 is what I mean by the other side).

The picture looks like you only did 4 thick rows. The pattern says to do 5 thick rows but you probably know that. So on row 28 it might mean to crochet from one side of the 5 thick rows to the other side of the 5 thick rows - I'm not sure. I wouldn't think that there's a seem on the other side of the thick rows but that might be what they mean - again I'm not sure - you'll have to look at it when you get that far.

The 'entire hat' includes the brim of the hat (or the 5 thick rows) - That includes the sides of the 5 thick rows.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 04-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are good. I did notice I only had 4 thick rows and wondered if you would notice it. I don't know why there is only 4 rows. I think I will probably wind up pulling it out, but I need tomorrow to have more time to study your comments. I can't wait to get back to you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    Thanks! I looked at the pattern and it looks like your last row was row 25. That's why you only have 4 thick rows instead of 5 thick rows. It sounds like you work out so you don't have much time to crochet. It might help you if you write down where you are on your crocheting when you have to put your crocheting down so that when you pick your crocheting back up to work on it you don't have to figure out where you are on your work.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 04-07-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Lucie,
    Thanks! I looked at the pattern and it looks like your last row was row 25. That's why you only have 4 thick rows instead of 5 thick rows. It sounds like you work out so you don't have much time to crochet. It might help you if you write down where you are on your crocheting when you have to put your crocheting down so that when you pick your crocheting back up to work on it you don't have to figure out where you are on your work.
    My husband is 94, wanting to be 50. The kids got him a cane, he won't use it. Spring is here, yesterday I happened to look out the window and he is out on the tractor. I notice now that he uses a broom as a cane. In his mind, it is just a broom. I was watching a tutorial online yesterday; the instructor has a little stitch counter on her finger. I need to get one because I never know what he will get into. I have a love/hate relationship with the tractor!

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I ripped back to what I think is Row 20 with 23 stitches?
    Where to insert hook-save-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why you ripped (or frogged) your stitches. Maybe because you wanted to see were you were at on your crocheting?

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not sure why you ripped (or frogged) your stitches. Maybe because you wanted to see were you were at on your crocheting?
    You got it. I am trying to learn how to count my rows so I know what row I am on and where my mistake was. Good thing I didn't get around to crocheting this morning. I have had four calls back and forth with the doctor re prescription that is no longer in stock and what the alternative is. I go going online right now and Googling that crochet counter that goes on your finger.

Post Thanks / Like
    I purchased a stitch counter at Michael's yesterday and I started over beginning at Row 17. I finished Rows 20 and 21. I had 25 loops after Row 20 and 25 loops after Row 21. When I did Row 23 I could not come out with 25 loops on my hook. I don't know what I am doing wrong--it's almost embarrassing...

Are the red arrows where I am to insert my hook per Row 23--I wind up with 24 loops on my hook instead of 25?

Where to insert hook-row-22-jpg
    Last edited by Lucie; 04-09-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    On rows 19 and 20 did you have 23 sts? If you had 23 sts on rows 19 and 20 then on row 21 did you put 2 sc's in the st that's 5 sts from the beginning of row and 5 sts from the end of the row so you would end up with 25 sts

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    On rows 19 and 20 did you have 23 sts? If you had 23 sts on rows 19 and 20 then on row 21 did you put 2 sc's in the st that's 5 sts from the beginning of row and 5 sts from the end of the row so you would end up with 25 sts
    Yep, I did. When I chain and turn I am not always sure where to insert my hook but I count to make sure I have the required number of stitches. Rows 21 and 22 both wound up with the required 25 stitches. Tomorrow it's off to the Senior Center I go...