Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 5 First 12345 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    By the way, the other day I tried to crochet using your pencil method. Ha, I got about 3 to 5 stitches completed and they looked nice and neat but I could not crochet very long that way. It took me forever to do just those few. Can't teach an old dog new tricks.

Oh yah, that's all of us! I've tried the knife hold and couldn't proceed very far. I learned the pencil hold from an oldish woman when I was a teen (making a doily using a teeny steel hook) and that's what stuck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, I was little around 7 when my mother showed me some stitches. I remember the hardest thing was for her to explain to me how to wrap the yarn in my left hand. I never got the hang of that and I have bad habits that I cannot break. My in-laws (mother in law and sister in law) both crochet with the pencil hold.They are both reall good at crochet and knitting. It looks like something you can buy out of a store made by a machine. I wish I could crochet or knit like them.
    I am taking a break from the little crochet top I am making it is not my hands that hurt this time it is my back. (poor posture while sitting)

The weather is warming up and I will bring my wicker chairs out of storage and put them on the porch and spend my summer in a comfortable chair and doing crochet or other needle work. I want to do some embroidery too.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 04-09-2019 at 12:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I remember the hardest thing was for her to explain to me how to wrap the yarn in my left hand. I never got the hang of that

Boy, do I ever know what you are talking about. To this day, I don't think I am holding the yarn "correctly" in my left hand. I keep seeing those countless photos and videos showing you how to wind the yarn around your little finger, then weaving it around your other fingers. That's nuts, I can't do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo. Me either that is why my tension is wacky.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think that there's a right way to hold the yarn when crocheting. Just so you hold the yarn in a way that's comfortable to you.

6. Thanks MeToo! thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Gee, I thought I was the only one who couldn't get the wrapping of the yarn around my left-hand fingers. I just use the "cigarette" hold (between index and second fingers) and that's it - no wrapping. Don't know if that is good or bad, but it works for me. The one I find fascinating is where the person crochets and holds the yarn in the same hand.

Post Thanks / Like
    I wrap the yarn over my little finger of the left hand and pull it across the next 2 fingers and over my index finger. The yarns flows smoothly for me this way. I have seen others wrapping the yarn over twice or 3 times over the index finger. I tried that once but I ended up pulling on the yarn ball to get enough yarn to crochet with and went back to my way.

I have seen knitters using the same hand to knit but not a person who is crocheting. That would be hard to do for me,
    spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova,
    How can someone crochet and hold the yarn in the same hand?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula,
    It sounds like I hold the yarn and the hook the same way you do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, Just dropped in again to rest my hands. I am sorry I could not help you on that other thing I wasn't reading it.

I also meant to compliment you on your dresses you posted they are cute. Did you ever sell that multi colored sailor dress you made it was adorable.

Looks like we do hold our yarn the same way. I am on the final round of my top ( did it over 2 more times) I am going with this size now tired of guessing. Now I have to make the skirt. I don't have a pattern nor a sewing maching I can use so its all by hand (again).
    I also want to make a border or edging in shells for the skirt. I don't have one of those cutters that put holes in fabric so I will have to be inventive with that too.

I Have to help at the school tomorrow , baseball this Saturday and next week I got the grandson for spring break so my time is limited to get this done. I would have had time to do it but took so long in trying to figure out the shells and number of stitches to use starting the chain. It is difficult to work from only a picture. I prefer a pattern.

Spoula

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post