Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

pattern help please

I'm a little lost on the first 8 rows of this pattern. It's a scarf supposed to look like a cactus in a pot. The cactus part is just puff stitches which I've practiced and seem to be ok with. The pot though I can't figure out the instructions:

Chain 12 : Well ok i can do this

R1: Turn ch 1 , sc into first 11ch 3 sc into 12th ch without turning continue going around the other side of the chain, sc into the next 10ch , 2sc into the last sl st into the first

So i think this is just going up one side of the chain and down the other, and some triple and double rings into specific chains? looking over rounds i may need some markers

Now working in the round and i'm totally lost
    R2: ch1 hdc into sl st (ch 1 doesn't count as st) hdc into next 11, 2 hdc into next, hdc x12 ,2hdc sl st into first hdc (28)

I'm not sure how this is working in the round if it's starting with a 12 chain and just sc around the 12 chain then working in the round around that? I thought working in the round you usually crocheted into the first loop of the chain, which this doesn't talk about? or is that implied but "working in the round"
    totally lost. Any pointers? I think the r3-8 are just variations on r2 so if i can get r1 and r2 solid i can get the pot done and to the easy part of the cactus. these 8 rows i've tried 3 times and just get an oval, which doesn't look anything like the picture.

thanks!
    here's the bane of my winter so far:
    https://www.ravelry.com/patterns/lib...g-cactus-scarf

Post Thanks / Like
    For rnd 1, you are working around the chain, increasing stitches on each end. It seems that you will be working in the round for the "pot" part of the scarf, which is going to give you 2 layers. "Working in the round" means constantly working with the right side facing you (versus "turning" where you work from both sides). Granny Squares and doilies are flat and worked in the round; amigurumi is worked in the round but is 3D.

For rnd 2, you work the 1st hdc in the sl st you made to close the 1st rnd. There comes a point where you should not keep increasing, because if you do you'll end up with a flat oval instead of working up the sides of the pot. I don't have the pattern in front of me so I can't test it, but I hope this helps you.

3. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello deadlift, There are several way to work in the round and joining. I use to turn after each row ch 1 to go up to the next row but lately I have had patterns that say don't turn and ch 1 does not count as the first stitch. So what you do in this case is to join to the first actual stitch of the previous row. I think it is to give you a neater seam line.

I looked at your pattern and the pot you are making is oval or it looks that way to me in the photo. So you are correct that you are working down one side and up the other.
    Below is a link to show you the different methods of working in the round I think there is one on there toward the bottom that fits your pattern. When it say ch 1 does not count and hdc in the next as you end that row and start the next you will ch 1 and sl st in the hdc not the ch 1.
    There are others on here that can also help you if this doesn't work.
    How to Crochet in the Round: Spiral vs Joining ⋆ Look At What I Made

Hope this helps,
    Spoula

5. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nova,
    Thank you for helping him.

Spoula

7. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    When you ss the last st of the row and the first st of the row together to form a circle or oval, the ss is or becomes pretty small. If you can't get your hook into the ss then crochet around it.

or you can use a smaller hook and when you have the loops on your hook change back to the bigger hook you were using and then finish the stitch.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 12-08-2018 at 07:23 PM.

9. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just did a muzzle for a reindeer hat and I started w/a chain and sc on both sides of the chain something like you're doing. I didn't put a marker on the first few rounds so I wasn't sure where to join so I just joined in the next stitch. I didn't want to take it out so I kept crocheting. The last 2 rounds I had to sc around twice and I used a marker. Before I got all the way around the first time it looked like there was a ss so I just crocheted in the next st. I guess I'll have to use a marker for all the rounds if I do this again. The muzzle looks good. I guess I could do it over. Not sure if I want to.