Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Too many loops...

My first lace square I had no problem. My count is off on this square.

Row 1:

First half of row: Skip first dc, pick up and retain on hook one loop in each dc and in each sp, omitting the center sp. Ending pick up loop in top of ch 3: 28 loops on hook.

Red arrows indicates spaces, blue each dc.

Too many loops...-loops-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    You have sets of dc, ch 1, dc and 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc. You are crocheting in each dc and in each ch sp (the space between the dc sts. Look at your other one https://crochettalk.com/main/28726-jean.html If you start w/your 1st loop on the top of the ch 3 when you started the row and continue with loop in each dc and space (the ch 1 between the dc's - dc, ch 1, dc and 2 dc, ch 1, 2 dc) and omit the center space then you'll end up with 28 loops.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-19-2018 at 08:06 PM.

3. Thanks spoula thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lucie, Looking at your picture I count 20 DC, and 7 spaces and the chain3 that comes to 28 loops.

The spaces I counted are the ones between the 1dc,ch1,1dc and the 2sc, ch1,2dc only. I assumed that the instructions saying to omit the center spaces are some of the ones you have in red. Does your instructions say not to pull up a loop between the 2dc, ch1,2dc) I think that might be where you are off.

Look at the link again that Jean Marie posted you will see it clearly. (Thanks Jean Marie for remembering that one that will be a big help to her) I copied that picture below for her.

You did it once you can do it again don't give up.
    Spoula
    Too many loops...
    Last edited by spoula; 09-20-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Baby Afghan Blanket – p3, Row 1
    First half of row: Skip first dc, pick up and retain on hook one loop In each sp, omitting the center sp. Ending pick up loop in top of ch 3: 28 loops on hook.

I have been omitting the center spaces, why do the instructions say to omit the center sp? How's this?

Too many loops...-afghan-baby-blanket-instructions_p-3-jpg

Blue arrows indicate center spaces, red arrows all other spaces, green arrow starting and ending points.
    The red arrow in upper left corner of image is a mistake (lol).
    Last edited by Lucie; 09-20-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    The center is the middle. By spaces they mean only the spaces that are between the 1 dc, ch 1 is a space, 1 dc and 2 dc's, ch 1 is a space, 2 dc's.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 09-20-2018 at 10:47 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I omit the center spaces (blue arrows) I won't have 28 loops? Whoever said their is no such thing as a dumb question--didn't know me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucie View Post
    If I omit the center spaces (blue arrows) I won't have 28 loops? Whoever said their is no such thing as a dumb question--didn't know me!
    Hello Lucie,

See if this helps:

You have a total of 20 DC
    1 chain 3 at the end of the row (the first chain 3 is your first loop and you skip the first DC in the first V stitch)
    you will have 7 spaces
    20 dc+1 chain 3 +7 spaces =28 loops

(2DC,ch1,2dc) you made 3 of these (shell) there are 4 dc in this shell 3X4=12 DC for that sequence

(1DC,C1,1DC) you made 4 of these V stitches there are 2 dc in this v stitch 4x2=8

That is your total DC count of 20 (12+8=20)

The spaces are 7 and they are the ch 1 spaces in the shell and in the V stitch. 3+4=7

I don't have a copy of your pattern I can only look at the picture of your work and try to figure out what you are doing. The last picture I saw was with all the Blue, green and red arrows. My response is from that one.

I think you are trying to crochet a straight line across the lace part. This is like any other crochet you will do as you crochet the stitches from your last row. That is why it is important to count your stitches as you are doing. ( When you look at your stitches count only the DC's, the chain 1 spaces and the 1 chain 3 at the end of the row.)

The stitch between the shell and the V stitch in your picture looks like a stitch that should be counted but it is not it is the DC. Try to put your hook in the top of the double crochets.

The Blue arrows are OK it is the extra red ones you added. Ha

I hope I have helped you.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-20-2018 at 02:54 PM. Reason: spacing

Post Thanks / Like
    There is only 1 center space in the middle of your work. You have 2 ends. The 2 dc's, ch 1 space (the center space that you are to omit), 2 dc's) that is in the middle or center (between the 2 ends - where you start and end the row) Do you follow now?

10. Thanks Lucie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by spoula View Post
    Hello Lucie,

See if this helps:

You have a total of 20 DC
    1 chain 3 at the end of the row (the first chain 3 is your first loop and you skip the first DC in the first V stitch)
    you will have 7 spaces
    20 dc+1 chain 3 +7 spaces =28 loops

(2DC,ch1,2dc) you made 3 of these (shell) there are 4 dc in this shell 3X4=12 DC for that sequence

(1DC,C1,1DC) you made 4 of these V stitches there are 2 dc in this v stitch 4x2=8

That is your total DC count of 20 (12+8=20)

The spaces are 7 and they are the ch 1 spaces in the shell and in the V stitch. 3+4=7

I don't have a copy of your pattern I can only look at the picture of your work and try to figure out what you are doing. The last picture I saw was with all the Blue, green and red arrows. My response is from that one.

I think you are trying to crochet a straight line across the lace part. This is like any other crochet you will do as you crochet the stitches from your last row. That is why it is important to count your stitches as you are doing. ( When you look at your stitches count only the DC's, the chain 1 spaces and the 1 chain 3 at the end of the row.)

The stitch between the shell and the V stitch in your picture looks like a stitch that should be counted but it is not it is the DC. Try to put your hook in the top of the double crochets.

The Blue arrows are OK it is the extra red ones you added. Ha

I hope I have helped you.

Spoula
    I purchased this pattern years ago. I moved around from Rochester, to Syracuse, Buffalo, Boston and back home, taking it with me until I could get around to learning crochet. Is it okay to send a copy?

Post Thanks / Like
    Too many loops...-dscf0238-jpg

Too many loops...-1-jpg

Too many loops...-loops-jpg

I won't tell you how many times I had to rip this apart; never could have done this without the help of you and Spoula! Hoping it's right...
    Last edited by Lucie; 09-20-2018 at 07:26 PM.