Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

A question on instructions following row after 28 chains

A question on instructions following row after 28 chains-baby-afghan-crochet-insturctions_question-jpg

Do I insert my hook into the single loop at the top of the second chain and yo to pull through?

My practice block:
    A question on instructions following row after 28 chains-2018-august-30_practice-crochet-block-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Lucie,

OMG Jean, I love the first video, although I have been doing it exactly as shown in the second video. I just finished approximately 18 practice rows just as shown in this video and was trying to figure out how to work a row of sl st to finish. My block will be approximately two inches larger than instructions call for. I am using a size (I) 14" Afghan hook and some yarn I had just laying around. I purchased a 12.3 oz. of Bernat Baby Sport yarn. It shows a blanket that calls for 3 balls of yarn and a 6 (4mm) hook. I will probably have to purchase a bit thinner hook?

The only thing different in the first video was in the row following the chain; she also ended each row a bit differently. I am going to do another practice square, following the first video, using my new ball of yarn just to see the difference it will make in the size of the square. I am not having problems with the needle or the tension.

I can't believe how you can look at someone's work and identify the stitches used and that a pattern is Tunisian.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie,
    I knew you were using an afghan hook and a afghan stitch is the same as a Tunisian stitch; you have a long crochet hook in the picture and you have the picture of figure 1, 2, 3, and 4 and the instructions for row 1.

I have read that a long crochet hook can be hard on your hands so you might want to look into a flexible afghan hook (one with a cord). I had crocheted what was supposed to be a 6 inch square but I used a bigger hook than it called for and it made a bigger square and then I did what looks like 2 rows of the afghan stitch all the way around cause I had wanted to try the afghan stitch but I found out that the afghan stitch or Tunisian stitch makes the stitches stretchy. I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I ended up putting it on a pillow. When I did the afghan stitch I didn't have a cord on the hook either.

You can always take a square you've made and put the stitches on a Tunisian hook and crochet the Tunisian stitch or you can put the stitches on a knitting needle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Lucie, Once you have the number of loops on your hook the pattern instructions give you will now work backward don't turn your work. Where you are now you will yarn over and pull through the first loop which will be your 2nd loop. Then you will pull through each remaining loop on your hook. (On the picture of the loops they have already pulled through the first loop and they are showing you are now on the 2nd loop. They have 7 total loops on the hook.)
    Pictures 3 and 4 are now going through the bars you just made also 7 loops on hook.

When working backward (or back across the row) the first yarn over and pulling through the next loop on your hook is like increasing for the next row like in crochet where you chain up before stating your next stitch. Then you continue with yarn over pull through one at a time until all the loops have been completed.

Hope this helps or makes sense.
    Spoula

6. Thanks Lucie thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pull through one loop and then pull through 2 loops for the remaining loops on hook.

8. Thanks Lucie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi Lucie,
    I knew you were using an afghan hook and a afghan stitch is the same as a Tunisian stitch; you have a long crochet hook in the picture and you have the picture of figure 1, 2, 3, and 4 and the instructions for row 1.

I have read that a long crochet hook can be hard on your hands so you might want to look into a flexible afghan hook (one with a cord). I had crocheted what was supposed to be a 6 inch square but I used a bigger hook than it called for and it made a bigger square and then I did what looks like 2 rows of the afghan stitch all the way around cause I had wanted to try the afghan stitch but I found out that the afghan stitch or Tunisian stitch makes the stitches stretchy. I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I ended up putting it on a pillow. When I did the afghan stitch I didn't have a cord on the hook either.

You can always take a square you've made and put the stitches on a Tunisian hook and crochet the Tunisian stitch or you can put the stitches on a knitting needle.
    I gave the blanket to my granddaughter some years ago. I followed the instructions in the first video and after the chain she twists her work. I couldn't get comfortable putting the needle through the hook. I went back to the my original instructions and it says not to twist so I am sticking with the way my instructions say. I did learn I was not picking up both vertical stitches at the end of each row so now I work it that way. I finished the Afghan square with the sl st and chained 1. For the Lace Square: Row 1: Wrong side (?) - sl st into first st, ch 3. skip 1st st. *(dc... I don't think this part will be a problem.