Hi there! New person here just learning crochet and could use some help. I知 following the pattern for a doll and some tighter stitches are proving challenging for me, I知 wondering if I知 doing things wrong?

I知 working with black yarn, 4x4 gauge US I-9 5.5mm. Recommended size hook is 9, I have an 8 and a 6 but have the same problem with either one. My pattern calls for me to single crochet 6 stitches into a magic ring, then 2 sc into each stitch for one row, then single crochet 12 for one row, then decrease 1 single crochet 6 times for one row and finally single crochet 6 stitches for 4 rows to form the arms of my doll. My stitches end up being so tight with nearly the recommended hook size, though, that I can barely see my stitches, let alone fit my hooks into them. I知 having to mark every single stitch with stitch markers to keep track of them. Having such a dark yarn doesn稚 help but my fingers are sore from trying to follow this pattern and I知 not sure I知 doing things right if my round is too tight to work with. I知 not sure how to fix this problem, can any of you offer suggestions for a fix?