Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: New to cables

Post Thanks / Like

New to cables

Hello all of you experienced crocheters,
    I am tackling my first cable project and need HELP!
    The pattern calls for a forward cable stitch and a backward cable stitch. The front one works fine but the back one not so much...or at least I don’t understand it.
    I am attaching the instructions for the two stitches and the pattern where it is first used.
    As always, thank you for your help.
    Nancy

forward Cable (fwd cable): Skip each of the next 2 post sts, fptr around each of the next 2 post sts, working in front of the post sts just made, fptr around each skipped post st.
    Backward Cable (bwd cable): Skip each of the next 2 post sts, fptr around each of the next 2 post sts, working behind the post sts just made, fptr around each of the 2 skipped post sts.

ow 7: Ch 1, extended sc in next 18 (21, 25, 28, 32, 35) sts, cable twist over next 2 post sts, extended sc in next 5 sts, fwd cable over next 4 post sts, extended sc in next 2 sts, bwd cable over next 4 post sts, extended sc in next 5 sts, cable twist over next 2 post sts, extended sc in each remaining st across. Turn.
    Row 8: Ch 1, extended sc in next 18 (21, 25, 28, 32, 35) sts, bpdc around next 2 post sts, extended sc in next 4 sts, skip the next st, *bpdc around next post
    st, (bpdc, extended sc) in next post
    st. (extended sc, bpdc) in next post st, bpdc around next post st*, skip next
    2 sts; repeat from * to *, skip next st, extended sc in next 4 sts, bpdc around next 2 post sts, extended sc in each remaining st across. Turn.
    Row 9: Ch 1, extended sc in next 18 (21, 25, 28, 32, 35) sts, fpdc around next 2 post sts, extended sc in next 3 sts, skip next st, fpdc around next post st, (fpdc, extended sc) in next post st, extended sc in next 2 sts, bwd cable over next 4 sts, extended sc in next 2 sts, (extended sc, fpdc) in next post st, fpdc around next post st, skip next st, extended sc in next 3 sts, fpdc around next 2 post sts, extended sc in each remaining st across. Turn.
    Last edited by NancyMcQuade; 03-07-2018 at 07:03 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've never made cables either.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Nancy, When they say cable in crochet they are referring to front post dc or treble (FPDC, FPTR) and back post dc or trebles (BPDC,BPTR). I didn't read all of the instructions as I saw a discrepancy in the back post cable instruction and responded to that. I will say if you have a free pattern I have found several mistakes in those kinds of patterns. I have been told that they have not been tested.

You Wrote:

forward Cable (fwd cable): Skip each of the next 2 post sts, fptr around each of the next 2 post sts, working in front of the post sts just made, fptr around each skipped post st.
    What they want you to do to get the cable stitch is to skip 2 post stitches and do your fptr stitch then go back to the 2 skipped stitches and do the fptr this give you a X ( like a twist) and that will give you the cable look as you continue up you rows.

You wrote:
    Backward Cable (bwd cable): Skip each of the next 2 post sts, fptr around each of the next 2 post sts, working behind the post sts just made, fptr around each of the 2 skipped post sts

This instruction is not correct because your wrote Backward cable but the stitches say fptr and it should be back post tr.

To make cable stitches in pattern you make fptr, then bptr stitches. If the pattern is written wrong this might be why your back post treble doesn't look right.

I didn't read all of your post and I can't see the pattern clearly but let me know if this helped and if you are still stuck I will try to explain better.
    Spoula

Last edited by spoula; 03-08-2018 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spacing needed

4. Thanks NancyMcQuade thanked for this post
    Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent! That works. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I contacted the compantpy about the pattern and this was their reply. Have been doing it their way and it is tough.

The backward cable may seem a little awkward to make. You're going to skip the next two post stitches from th previous row. Now work a fptr around each of the next post stitches. To work behind those stitches you just made, you may find it helpful to "fold" them forward, towards you. Now swing your hook from left to right so you can work a fptr into the first stitch you skipped, then into the second stitch you skipped. This creates the cable effect.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi NancyMcQuade, I understand that stitch it will make an X. Although that is a lot of maneuvering to get to the skipped stitch.

I am not a fan of FPDC or BPDC or FPTR/BPTR. I made a baby sweater and the pattern called for FPDC then BPDC to make a ribbed bottom and sweater cuff. It turned out OK.
    I look forward to seeing your item.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Will definitely post a photo. Slow going with this pattern.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may try both ways to see how they compare. Thank you for sharing your version