Quote Originally Posted by Knittingman View Post
Hello, I am relatively new to knitting and new to this forum. I'm curious if anyone uses yarn bowls to hold their yarn in place and from rolling around everywhere? I've been looking at some for sale online and wanted to get some first hand opinions before spending the money on a bowl. It seems like a worthwhile expense? Thanks in advance!

I have been practicing the art of crochet for over 60 years and never had a yarn bowl. With the expanding appearance of yarn skeins, crowding out the standard “yarn hank”, rolling yarn in a ball has became a preference not a necessity. Center pull skeins being popular as roll prevention, but to my annoyance they collapse as they deplete. I now use a yarn winder to create yarn cakes, which I pull from the outside. But there is still the problem of containment and transportation. You can contain your yarn in any clean container of appropriate size. I have used plastic bags, baskets, empty ice cream containers, boxes and yes plastic bowls (with a bulldog clip on the side). I prefer a container that will hold everything I need for the project as well as the project itself when I am not working on it. So my choice was a large craft bag that I can grab and carry with me anywhere I go. You should choose what works best for you.