Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knittingman View Post
    Hi Jean, thank you for your reply! It seemed like the bowl would help keep the yarn organized but it seems like you don't have much of a problem with that? For me, sometimes the yarn ball falls out of my lap or off of the table and then turns into a mess.
    Hi,
    I don't use a bowl. I just have the yarn next to me or I have a spin knit kit and also a pvc pipe where I can put a knitting needle through the skein of yarn and through the pvc pipe on each side so it holds the skein of yarn. I can have 2 skeins of yarn on at once if I want. The spin knit kit I got from someone on here. I believe her name is Shelly. I'm not sure of her avatar name. If I think of it I'll let you know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Knittingman View Post
    Hello, I am relatively new to knitting and new to this forum. I'm curious if anyone uses yarn bowls to hold their yarn in place and from rolling around everywhere? I've been looking at some for sale online and wanted to get some first hand opinions before spending the money on a bowl. It seems like a worthwhile expense? Thanks in advance!

I have been practicing the art of crochet for over 60 years and never had a yarn bowl. With the expanding appearance of yarn skeins, crowding out the standard “yarn hank”, rolling yarn in a ball has became a preference not a necessity. Center pull skeins being popular as roll prevention, but to my annoyance they collapse as they deplete. I now use a yarn winder to create yarn cakes, which I pull from the outside. But there is still the problem of containment and transportation. You can contain your yarn in any clean container of appropriate size. I have used plastic bags, baskets, empty ice cream containers, boxes and yes plastic bowls (with a bulldog clip on the side). I prefer a container that will hold everything I need for the project as well as the project itself when I am not working on it. So my choice was a large craft bag that I can grab and carry with me anywhere I go. You should choose what works best for you.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

3. Likes Teri liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Knittingman - The only complaint I have ever heard about some yarn bowls is that if they're not heavy enough, you can end up pulling the bowl off the table. The rubber ring on the bottom might help with that, but I think the teapot idea is great.

5. Likes spoula liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Nova, I thought the tea pot was cute. The lady I saw use it is a Grandma but a very young grandmother. She goes by Glamma on the video. She has 2 little granddaughters that are adorable. She said on the video that she purchased a cheap tea pot and she showed it and it was really cute. (very girly).

I finished the dress I just need to take a picture to post it.

Spoula

7. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw someone with a Calundar for her yarn......my husband made me a 10 spool rack and I can't get along without it....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by terriyaki78 View Post
    I saw someone with a Calundar for her yarn......my husband made me a 10 spool rack and I can't get along without it....
    Hi terriyaki78,
    How big are the spools? Are big enough to wind yarn around them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for everyone’s replies! What a great and helpful community.

My only concern with using something like the teapot is that then I won’t be able to use the teapot until I am finished with a project because the yarn will be fed through the spout? From reading all of ya’lls replies, it seems like some people use bowls and some use other methods that are more economical. I think I will go ahead and get myself a nice yarn bowl, as I think it will help functionally and I think it will last a while so I am ok spending a little bit of money for something of quality.

The bowl that I really like online is a bit expensive, but I think I would get good use out of it and it looks like good quality - and that it will last for years. It also seems like the right size, weight, design, etc. Claudia, is this similar to the crochet bowl that you have?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...s=crochet+bowl
    Does Anyone Use a Yarn Bowl to Help Keep Your Yarn in Place While You're Knitting?-untitled-jpg
    Last edited by Knittingman; 02-28-2018 at 11:04 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the amazon link to the one I have, I agree that one you posted is by FAR nicer, and prettier

https://www.amazon.com/Yarn-Bowl-Val...ords=yarn+bowl

The pics they show, show using a ball, cake, or skein of yarn with it.

-Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, That is the one I saw that was expensive. If I was going to use a yarn bowl I would also purchase that one. Just so everyone knows I don't use a tea pot for my yarn. I keep my yarn next to me and pull like a cat when I need more on the hook. Ha.
    Old habits are hard to break.
    Spoula

13. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Great, thanks for the link and reply Suewin! I'll let you know once I receive my new bowl! I am going to get the wooden one.

Spoula, thank you for clarifying. That is very true, old habits are hard to break! But it sounds like you have a system that works perfect for you!