Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Post Thanks / Like

Linked crochet stitches

I wish to make a hat with linked stitches. There are instructions in the book but they are not illustrated and I can't see how they work. I have found YouTube videos for linked double crochet stitches, but the hat calls for Linked Single Crochet stitches too. Can anyone help me with these please?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Deeceepee, ,
    The linked stitches are only a double, half and treble crochet because they are higher stitches. By linking them they reduce the gaps or space between the stitches making a tighter fabric. The single crochet is a shorter stitch therefore you should be able to do that stitch the same way as you normally would.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thankyou very much Spoula. That's what I concluded after reading what other ladies thought. I shall try it with spare yarn first and see how it goes.
    Thankyou to everyone for their help and support.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    The terms in the UK are different. A double crochet there = a single here, I think.

Post Thanks / Like

Thankyou

[QUOTE=MeToo!;205336]The terms in the UK are different. A double crochet there = a single here, I think.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. I have a few crochet books now and realised the terminology was different between US and UK. It's ok once you get it sorted in your mind. That's why I couldn't work out how to link your sc. I'm going to enjoy experimenting.
    Thank you again.
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    The terms in the UK are different. A double crochet there = a single here, I think.
    Clever girl MeToo. I didn't look at her location that she was in the UK or I would also have pointed that out.
    You are correct the SC is USA and in the UK it is DC.
    US UK
    HDC HTR
    DC TR
    DTR TRTR

I only remember those stitches because some how I received a baby pattern that was UK standards and I didn't read the pattern closely to notice that. As I made the baby item in the stitches mentioned it was not working for me. Once I found out what I was doing incorrectly it took me a while to crochet the stitch looking at the pattern stitches. Once I got started again I would forget and when I saw DC in the pattern I made a DC in US terms.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Spoula
    We get so many US patterns and books here I suppose we are used to adapting to the different terms. It can be confusing though.
    Dee
    Last edited by Deeceepee; 02-09-2018 at 08:02 AM. Reason: Predictive text!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dee, I lived in France and had many English and French friends and we use to get together every Friday for a conversation group and discuss the different words and uses of the English and French language. My French friend told me that the USA has not spoken English in over 200 years that was quite funny. It was all in fun and we English speaking girls got to tease the French too. It was also very educational as we exchanged many expressions. Such as in English we say it is raining cats and dogs outside. The French say it is raining cords. Or in English we say when the cat is a way the mice will play. In French they say when the cat is a way the mice dance. It was so much fun and we all had a good time.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    That sounds great fun. It's great to be in touch with people from other countries. I'm loving the replies I've had to my question. It's so amazing to me as I'm quite old enough to remember snail mail!!! Ha ha
    Dee

10. Likes spoula liked this post