Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
    Post Thanks / Like

Teaching crochet

Hi,
    Someone wanted me to show her how to crochet. So far I showed her the slip knot and the chain stitch and I gave her some yarn to practice on. She said she would buy a crochet hook. I am right handed. She is left handed. Any tips? She's not familiar on how to hold the hook or the yarn.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 01-23-2018 at 03:59 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    There are videos on you tube for left handed folks. Also she can take a pattern and print it on translucent paper and when you turn it over it will reverse the pattern. If she doesn't have a printer at home she can go to her public library and print it.
    Spoula

3. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    HI I was told to teach a person is to sit directly across form them and they will see it left handed.
    Jacki

Post Thanks / Like

It's Easy

Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi,
    Someone wanted me to show her how to crochet. So far I showed her the slip knot and the chain stitch and I gave her some yarn to practice on. She said she would buy a crochet hook. I am right handed. She is left handed. Any tips? She's not familiar on how to hold the hook or the yarn.
    1) have her sit across from you and have her minic what she sees. I too am right handed but my daughter is left handed and so was the person that taught me to crochet
    2) before teaching the sc teach dc. It is easier to see where and what each stitch is
    3) be sure to get Bate hooks as it "grabs" the yarn better.

Good Luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, You tube has some great videos for left handed crocheters. I also found a book that has pictures for southpaws. I'll look for it and let you know when I find it. Dafy

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Teaching a left-hander, when you are a righty

Hi,

Good morning, Jean Marie,

I too teach people to crochet. It has been my experience if you sit directly in front of the student who is left handed, they see what you are doing from the left. This has worked for me for over 10-years - I teach seniors.

Sami

Post Thanks / Like
    Sitting across from someone reminded me of when I was teaching very young kids the Sign of the Cross. They were following me and did it backwards so I had to do it backwards.
    I have learned a lot with the videos also.
    Leona

Moved to Vacaville, Ca, now in Sacramento
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,
    My youngest daughter is left handed and I am right handed. She sat facing me and followed what she saw. Holding the hook and yarn is a personal choice. She saw how I held mine and modified it to suit herself. Hope this helps. By the way, she loves crocheting.
    Anita

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mnleona View Post
    Sitting across from someone reminded me of when I was teaching very young kids the Sign of the Cross. They were following me and did it backwards so I had to do it backwards.
    I have learned a lot with the videos also.
    Leona
    what do you mean by the sign of the cross? I don't think I could crochet backwards.

Post Thanks / Like
    what do you mean by the sign of the cross? I don't think I could crochet backwards.
    Hi Jean Marie, She may be Catholic and is teaching the children to make the sign of the cross.
    Here is a link that shows you what I mean and the reason we Catholics do it.

If the children are facing her when she touches her left shoulder the children would be touching their right shoulder as they are facing her.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...7119&FORM=VIRE