Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Crochet VS Knitting

Knitting vs. Crocheting: Top 8 Reasons Why Crocheting is Better Than Knitting

There is this little blog whose author explains why she thinks "crocheting is better than knitting". I myself crochet because I am not skilled, smart or patient enough to knit. (I have tried knitting and while I did make some slippers, I quit knitting.) Here are the opinions of two commenters:

Crochet is the redneck cousin of knitting no one talks about. Crochet era are lazy and looked down upon by knitters. Anyone can crochet, but not everyone can knit. Knitting takes time and skill and patience. THAT, mere mortals is th difference. Stick that in your chained bonnet.

All of the reasons pro crochet might be true but I MUCH prefer knitting and knitted items to crocheted ones because knitting is more sophisticated, the patterns are more intricate and the finished product just plain looks a lot nicer than wet blankets. Knitting is far more intellectually stimulating than the other. Enjoy your One Trick (pony) Needle. . .I won’t be back.

LOL!

The author of this blog, Jayna, explains why crocheting is better than knitting, but not why a crocheted object is inherently better than a knitted one. Because, in most cases, they are not better. To her credit, she does admit that knitted sweaters are better.

I do love crocheting and will continue til the end of my days, but, still, I wish I had had the smarts to continue and improve my knitting.

Any opinions? Do any of you wish you could knit?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo, This was interesting. I like to crochet because it works up fast and I know the stitches. I wanted to learn to knit because I do think that some knits look better then crochet items such as sweaters. Not all but some. Crochet has come a long way and there are many new stitches that look just as good as knitting.

So I knit some and I crochet some I like both.
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 01-05-2018 at 04:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MeToo!,
    I learned to crochet before I learned to knit but it's more comfortable to crochet. I always thought that crochet was easier on your arms/hands but I have found myself pulling hard on the crochet hook or pushing it through the stitch when it didn't want to go through - the same with the needle.

So why do we like to crochet that when we make a mistake we have to frog it or leave it. In knitting if you drop a stitch then sometimes you have to frog it but not always - sometimes you can just pick up a stitch but I would always be frogging it . Crocheting seems more relaxing. Knitting seems to be more tense. For those who have learned to knit first - knitting is probably more relaxing for them. I think it depends on what you learned first as to what is more relaxing. I have pulled the yarn tight to get the knitting needles to slide and I still can't seem to get it but I can knit.

When I didn't know how to knit I wanted to learn how but now that I know how to knit (I don't know everything about knitting and I don't know everything about crocheting either) I would rather crochet.

Post Thanks / Like
    I knit and crochet.
    ɹǝʞɐɯ ʎןıop ɐsıɹɐן

Post Thanks / Like
    Since I have an inclination toward thinner yarn, there are many knitted items that I just drool over. I have dabbled with the notion of learning how to knit, and if I ever did it would be so I could knit lace items. I am held back from taking the time to learn though because I know I still have so much more to learn with crochet, and crochet is definitely my first love.

Post Thanks / Like
    I do both. And I like both! I think SOME knitted items are prettier, but I think some Crocheted items are prettier. I like both because now that I'm older, when my fingers start hurting from the crochet or the knit, I can switch to the other one, as they make my hands hurt in different places after so long at one or the other. As long as I'm able to do something with my hands most of the time, I'm pretty happy. But I don't really thing one is any more complicated than the other. Sometimes I make something using both. They both have their uses. If anyone lives near Caldwell, Idaho, I'd be happy to help you learn your knitting.

Post Thanks / Like
    @Cin. I think you about summed it up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cin View Post
    I do both. And I like both! I think SOME knitted items are prettier, but I think some Crocheted items are prettier.
    THIS! exactly, I think there is a "place" for each. I can do both, but prefer crochet due to how many different stitches there are and how you can make so many different looking patterns. I know you can do different stuff with knitting but not way as much as with crochet. As for knitting being "more sophisticated, or far more intellectually stimulating" I say PSHAW on that!

I also love amigurumi ....so there's that

-Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to crochet but I can do both.