Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Crochet hook question

Hi all,
    I am brand new to crochet (3 weeks!), I bought a set of crochet hooks and some of the sizes don't add up with patterns and articles I have read. Maybe I am missing something or overthinking?

I have a size G/6 4.25mm, I/9 5.25mm and J/10 5.75mm but I have seen the mm sizes different.

Help I am confused!
    Lora

Post Thanks / Like
    What patterns and articles have you read?

Post Thanks / Like
    The measurements you have don't gel with what the traditional measurements are. See this chart -

Crochet hook question-9cdf52869a07ccb8d61e1aca34756eb1-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Some of my hooks don’t match the chart either. But I have been using them for about 30 years and made MANY items. As long as your gauge comes out right I would just ignore the difference. What matters most is if your project is coming out the right size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for your responses!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Imalefty is correct - the most important thing is that your item looks good and it's the size you want. It's also true that vintage/antique hooks came in slightly different sizes than they do today. And if you really want to be OCD about it, try measuring the hooks with a caliper - oh, boy those Chinese hooks are off! Even some of the Bates/Boye hooks are off (so much for quality control!) Most patterns do state that the designated hook size may be what the designer used, BUT feel free to change the hook size to obtain the right gauge. So, it's whatever works!