Quote Originally Posted by Mixpixlix View Post
I found a brand new, still in the packaging, double end hook at a yard sale today. How is used? It's quite large. P-16 11 1/2 cm. I also got a 9 mm metal hook. Both for the outrageous price of 25 cents!!!

I'd appreciate knowing how the double end hooks are used. Plus, I have several VERY LONG crochet hooks (double normal length) I picked up several years ago. Can't find any information on why they're so long.

Would appreciate any information members care to share.
Hi,
The double-ended hook you found is for a modified form of the afghan stitch called 'on the double' instead of only going back and forth, you go forward to pick up the loops, then turn the whole thing around and work them off from the other direction. This makes a thick, double-sided fabric that is perfect for afghans and sweaters and scarves. It also allows it to be completely reversible, and also lets you use two colors at once.

The longer hooks are for the traditional afghan stitch or Tunsian Crochet (Another variation of the afghan stitch that looks like knitting).

To find out more about Afghan stitch, Tunsian Crochet, or Crochet on the Double, look them up on YouTube to get a ton of tutorials about them.