Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Flying with crochet hooks

Next month I will be flying and was wanting to get information about carrying my crochet hook in my carry on. I really enjoy thread crochet and my hook is metal and it has interchangeable hook sizes that can be put on it. It came in a set with one handle and then several sizes of thread crochet hooks. The set cost around $30.00 and do do not want my hook to be taken away when I go through security. If someone has any experience with flying with your hook in a carry on please let me know how it went getting through security. I am trying to decide if I should pack it in carry on or checked baggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have flown with aluminium hook, but not a small size, more like a E-H or one of those larger sizes.
    I've heard it often will just determine how the TSA person feels at the time. I'm not sure if since yours can be interchangeable if they would like that? maybe just take the once you will actually be working with and leave the kit in the checked bag?

Post Thanks / Like
    I just visited my mom in Chicago (I'm in southern California). I had yarn and a couple hooks in my carry-on and didn't have any problem with TSA, but just like Suewin said, it could depend on the agent. Example - I wear a back brace with no metal in it. One time the agent just wiped my hands and a little of the brace with a damp cloth, analyzed the cloth, and I was on my way. Next time I had to go into a special room, remove it in front of 2 agents, had it taken away and analyzed, then I had to put it back on in front of the agents. This last flight I just took it off, put it in the basket to go through the machine, then after I collected my things just went to the nearest bathroom to put it back on. No wiping, no special room - and the brace (and I) sailed through with no issue!
    I believe I know the crochet hook set you're talking about, because I have a set like that. I would go with what Suewin suggested - bring the hook(s) you need with you (perhaps in the bottom of your purse?) and leave the rest in a checked bag. If you're really concerned, just leave the set in a checked bag and bring another project with you.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've flown a couple times and took my small thread crochet hook with what I was working on in my carry on and was nervous about it but it went through with no problem You might was to call the airlines before you go.