Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

High End Crochet Hooks

I was thinking it would be a nice Christmas present for my husband to get me a super nice hook.
    As well as maybe me getting one for my Mom.

I admit I'm cheap! I use aluminium hooks most of the time.

So please spam this post with the high end "present" worthy hooks.

-Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, the first brand that comes to mind is Furls - about $30 and up to over $100 - but there are many other brands of handmade wood/wood-handled hooks. Then there are the ergonomic-handled hooks, such as Tulip, Addi, Clover. The Furls and other handmade hooks often have a wide center to them and I could see some people not liking that. Also, pay attention to how you hold and use the hook because this could effect what hook you'd like to have as a present. For example, I feel Addi swing is only for someone who has a pencil hold. My son bought one for me as a present (my request) and the thing really doesn't work with a knife hold, no matter what they say. Or maybe it's just me. Also, many of the soft handled hooks don't have long shafts, which can be a problem if you make complicated stitches that require shaft length or, if you're like me, you use the shaft like a mini-violin bow to make even-sized stitches. So think about it before you ask for / give a particular hook. Wasting money on expensive hooks is not my idea of fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Any cheap hook becomes about as good as an expensive one if you put some sort of cushion on the shaft, which you can always make yourself to your own specifications.

Really, then, the only thing to look for is the type of business end that suits you. For me, I love the really pointy tip of the Addi Bamboo Natura hooks, plus they are closer to Susan Bates style than Boye style. Priced at US$8.00 to $14.00 depending on size.

About the Furls, I am not convinced that they are the best for those with pencil hold. I could be wrong, tho.

Post Thanks / Like

Furl hooks

Quote Originally Posted by MeToo! View Post
    Any cheap hook becomes about as good as an expensive one if you put some sort of cushion on the shaft, which you can always make yourself to your own specifications.

Really, then, the only thing to look for is the type of business end that suits you. For me, I love the really pointy tip of the Addi Bamboo Natura hooks, plus they are closer to Susan Bates style than Boye style. Priced at US$8.00 to $14.00 depending on size.

About the Furls, I am not convinced that they are the best for those with pencil hold. I could be wrong, tho.
    That should read not a fan of Bamboo.

I agree. The Furls are beautiful, but not sold on them...that said I have purchase several and never use them. I also am on a fan of Bamboo, seem, for me, yarn doesn't slid like on a metal hook. I use AERO. Hard to find. They are what I started with, so I continue. The feel for me is just write. I could sell you my furls.?

Post Thanks / Like
    @Lori. Re AERO hooks. When I first started crocheting as a teenager about 40 yr. ago, Aeros were pretty popular and cheap. Everyone had them, that was all you could find in the stores if I recall right. I lost a lot of my hooks but do have 1 Aero left. They are nice and smooth, to be sure.

I have no money to buy Furls hooks, not even used ones. Since I use pencil hold, they might not work for me, but apparently are perfect for just about everyone else.

If you go to ebay.com, they should have some Aero hooks there, probably as part of vintage collections. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh thanks so much for the ideas. I am a knife holder and my mom is a pencil holder! so what would work for me may not for her.