Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Shrugs.

Post Thanks / Like

Shrugs.

Short shrugs, that ones that go only to your waist and hug you at the back, make sense.

But what on earth is the point of the long ones, the kind that have a cup-like structure at the back? How do you wear these things? Do you flip that tail back like a concert pianist before he starts playing, or do you sit right on it? Or do you just stand around in it and take it off before you sit?

I started a garment that was was called a shrug; it was pictured from the front and I thought that this was merely some sort of long, loose, unfitted sweater - a good idea and easy to do, something real casual for at-home wear. Then I read down to the final instructions: crochet a rectancle, fold in half, leave holes for the sleeves - and that's it. These things from the rear look like a shawl where someone forgot to increase. So I abandoned the project pronto.

I have concluded that this was invented for the sole purpose of encouraging crochet of larger items when the crocheter possesses none of the expertise required for the creation of a more elegant, normal, better-fitting garment.

I'd like to be proved wrong.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/32/5a...6836f813c5.jpg

My Granny Square Shrug! – My Make Do and Mend Life

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-XVP8d3rj_U..._pattern_2.jpg
    Last edited by MeToo!; 09-25-2017 at 09:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have made at least 5 long shrugs. I love them because they cover my backside and the short ones seem to emphasis my worst feature. I think long or short, it's a personal preference. My 2 daughters love the long. My granddaughters all 5 of them like theirs short, so again it's just what you think looks good. I've been crocheting for almost 47 years. I've made everything from blankets, sweaters, clothes (skirts, tops with shoes to match) and I don't consider myself an expert, nor to do I criticize hose who have a different opinion than I do. Anyone who does handmade anything has a talent and should be complimented for their efforts. Just saying.

Post Thanks / Like
    There are some of these patterns that are very pretty. But I have a belly and a butt and in my opinion would not look good on me. They would accentuate these areas. On a slimmer figure they fit nicely. But again, if a larger person feels comfortable wearing this then they minted to wear it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not criticizing anyone for wanting to wear or crochet a shrug. Only opining that it is a strangely designed garment and may end up being a fad. I guess I like somewhat more classic designs.

So, those of you who love to crochet or wear long or short shrugs, more power to you. You folks probably would blanch at some of the stuff I made when I was a teenager - like a hip-length tabard made out of StrawTex! And...I wore the dam thing to work, too. Nobody had the nerve to say anything, but I still blush when I think about it. Feh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Granted, your basic shrug is a pretty easy garment to make. I did have some doubts about the style because I thought it could accentuate abdominal and booty areas - definite no-nos for me! Yet I have seen them on people where they looked good. It's a style, just like many items out there, and it will probably go out of fashion at some point. But the good thing is you can undo the seams and you'll still have a lapghan! As for me, I'd rather create more classic designs because even if they aren't "up to the minute" in style, they'll have a longer life.