Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help crocheting a circle

Hello all, my name is Julie. I have crocheted blankets only, taught by great grandma. I'm attempting a pattern for the first time:

Lily Crochet Pot Holder Dinner Trio, Crochet Pattern | Yarnspirations

(If the forum is unable to link it's at "yarnspirations" and if you search that site for crochet pot holders I want to make the egg on toast, coffee cup, and cherry pie.)

which is free to download the pattern if you're willing to help me. It starts with the cherry pie - and a circle. I've never done a circle, nor do I have experience following a pattern.

I watched a youtube video on crocheting a circle, and it helped but I still feel stuck not really understanding the instructions as they're different from the video. She double chained into the 2nd stitch to make her circle and it's telling me to chain 6 into the 2nd stitch (I think?) and can anyone explain it to me?

A video would be awesome if anyone is capable of that. Much appreciated, Julie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello and welcome to the crochet forums! Here is a video from The Crochet Crowd which looks very similar to the pattern link above. Hopefully, it helps you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello ,

I wrote out the explanations to help you with your pie. When I posted it, I saw that Barbara had sent you a video. That is even better so I am deleting my post.

Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 09-14-2017 at 05:49 AM. Reason: duplicate post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I found that video on their website just after I posted and then I felt ridiculous! But it sure was helpful.

I don't like the yarn, it's not fuzzy soft like for a blanket which I get it's not supposed to for the purpose. But it's harder to work with. I have good even tension and this yarn doesn't slip through my fingers, like too taut for the hook, takes some getting used to. Anyone else experience that?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Are you referring to the cotton yarn ? If so, I hate working with it! imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    YES! It's 100% cotton, they said acrylic would melt since it's being used for hot pads. I don't think I'll make any more!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't make potholders or hot pads just because of the cotton yarn. I don't like how it doesn't slide on my hook and how stiff it is. I have tried at least 3 different companies and not pleased with any of them. Good to know I am not the only one with complaints. imalefty

Post Thanks / Like
    I sure thought crochet was a lost art, and I was the only one still interested! I'm so glad to see I'm not. Here's my very first circle ever, with the stiffest, splitting yarn ever...

Post Thanks / Like
    Help crocheting a circle-15055343212821026172845-jpgHelp crocheting a circle-15055343212821026172845-jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RuntOfTheLitter3 View Post
    I sure thought crochet was a lost art, and I was the only one still interested! I'm so glad to see I'm not. Here's my very first circle ever, with the stiffest, splitting yarn ever...
    Hello,
    Looks like you mastered your pie. You have beautiful tension I wish I could keep my stitches so even.

It is hard to tell in a picture but it looks like your hook is very small for the yarn that could be why it is so stiff. I agree cotton yarn doesn't slide easily on the hook. Maybe try a larger needle or looser stitches and see if your circle looks and feels softer. (but maybe the pie needs to be stiff).

To be honest I can never go by a pattern as I cannot ever get the same gauge results the pattern calls for. So most of the time I just wing it. Lately I use measurements and crochet to that and not what the pattern says.

Anyway your pie and coffee cup will be so cute when you finish them.

Spoula