Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Question Help with pattern

Hello, this is my first post on the main forum as I'm new. I've been crocheting for a few years now and am not by any means an expert but I've always been able to figure out patterns and directions. This one has me stumped. I thought maybe I could run it by all of you to see if it's a problem with the pattern or if it's me.

Ok, here it is: It's a pattern for an amigurumi toy, a large spider. I'll type the instructions verbatim.
    Instructions: The head is worked in continuous rounds. Starting with the head and a G size hook ch. 9. Round 1: working in back ridge lps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 6 ch, 3 sc in last ch, rotate to work in opposite side of beg ch, sc in next 6 ch, 2 sc in same ch as first sc, do not join, place marker in first st. move marker as work progresses - 18 sts.

No matter how many times I've tried to follow the above instructions I cannot wind up with 18 stitches. Also it seems that these instructions are for a tubular shape and I don't know how that translates into a head. Whenever I've done continuous rounds in the past I've always started with a ring.
    Can anyone help? I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks so much,
    Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Skmk View Post
    Hello, this is my first post on the main forum as I'm new. I've been crocheting for a few years now and am not by any means an expert but I've always been able to figure out patterns and directions. This one has me stumped. I thought maybe I could run it by all of you to see if it's a problem with the pattern or if it's me.

Ok, here it is: It's a pattern for an amigurumi toy, a large spider. I'll type the instructions verbatim.
    Instructions: The head is worked in continuous rounds. Starting with the head and a G size hook ch. 9. Round 1: working in back ridge lps, sc in 2nd ch from hook and in each of next 6 ch, 3 sc in last ch, rotate to work in opposite side of beg ch, sc in next 6 ch, 2 sc in same ch as first sc, do not join, place marker in first st. move marker as work progresses - 18 sts.

No matter how many times I've tried to follow the above instructions I cannot wind up with 18 stitches. Also it seems that these instructions are for a tubular shape and I don't know how that translates into a head. Whenever I've done continuous rounds in the past I've always started with a ring.

Thanks so much,
    Susan
    SKMK,
    If you do the pattern like it says you will have 17 stitches. Placing the marker after the last 2 sc is 17 stitches the next stitch would be 18th. They are just adding the marker between the two for you see the start of the next set of instructions. In the round you can see where to start your next round.
    I agree with you that this is a funny way to start a round spider head. Read down the pattern maybe they are going to increase the sides and it will become round later.

Spoula

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much,
    Susan
    Hi Suaan,
    If you can not figure it out contact the pattern designer. I have had to do that with a few patterns, I nor anyone else could understand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LoriWooster View Post
    Hi Suaan,
    If you can not figure it out contact the pattern designer. I have had to do that with a few patterns, I nor anyone else could understand.
    Hello LoriWooster, I have had many patterns that were wrong. I butted my head thinking it was me doing something wrong. I found out later that many of the patterns are not tested. I was knitting a sweater that had designs on both arms. I completed the sweater and noticed the arms did not look alike. I stupidly did the sweater again with the same results. I contacted the author of the pattern and he said the pattern was not tested. I told him what was wrong and he just said thank you for testing it.

spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan,
    The way I read the pattern is that on Round 1 you will have 9 stitches at the end of the row. When you rotate the work to the opposite side and stitch across the row you will have 8 stitches across row. I counted 10 on the 1st Round at first. Maybe that's the way the person who did the pattern counted it-9 chains-the 1st sc is the 2nd chain so by the time you have the 1st 6 sc's you're on your 7th chain plus 3 sc's in last stitch - 7+3=10. I see though it's only 9 stitches on Round 1.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you keep going around and around on both sides of the stitches it will become round like a hat but like a small hat for your finger.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Spoula, Yes, I did read down the pattern and it does increase. I got confused where it said to rotate the work. Didn't know I was supposed to stitch in the beginning chains because it said to rotate to work in the opposite side of the beginning chain and I took that to mean the opposite end of the work. That's where my weird funnel type shape came from.
    At any rate I contacted the magazine and they explained it with pictures. If you came up with 17 stitches I guess you knew how to rotate the right way. I don't think I've ever done that before.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to check it out and respond. I really appreciate it.
    Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi LoriWooster,
    I contacted the magazine the pattern was in and they explained it to me. There was no error in the instructions. I didn't understand how to rotate the right way but thank you so much for your response!
    Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    That's the way I read the pattern too. I ended up with 10 stitches. But I contacted the magazine the pattern was in and they explained that apparently rotate means to continue stitching in the original chain row so it becomes like a flat oblong. I thought it meant to start at the opposite end of the beginning chain and that's where I came up with a strange funnel type shape. I never did that before. Live and learn.
    Thank you so much for your response.
    Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Spoula, Yes, I did read down the pattern and it does increase. I got confused where it said to rotate the work. Didn't know I was supposed to stitch in the beginning chains because it said to rotate to work in the opposite side of the beginning chain and I took that to mean the opposite end of the work. That's where my weird funnel type shape came from.
    At any rate I contacted the magazine and they explained it with pictures. If you came up with 17 stitches I guess you knew how to rotate the right way. I don't think I've ever done that before.
    Thank you so much for taking the time to check it out and respond. I really appreciate it.
    Susan
    Hi Susan, Yes I have made several things that you crochet down one side and back up the other side, I just finished bikini tops that are a triangle and the instructions to start is also to crochet down one side, crochet 3 in the last chain space then continue to crochet up the other side. When you get to the last chain you make 2 or 3 more sc. I too thought how am I going to get a triangle out of this oblong piece. By increasing on one end only. The oblong part became the seam down the middle of the bra. I have learned many new tricks by trying new things.
    I am very happy you were able to solve the problem in time for Halloween,
    Spoula