Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

a crochet afghan/blanket w/3 Greek letters?

Hi Everyone,
    My niece wants me to crochet her a blanket/afghan with 3 Greek letters. I've never done something like this before. Would it be easier to crochet, embroider or slip stitch the letters? She wants the letters black and gold. She doesn't know what color for the blanket. Is there a written crochet pattern for this? or I could just pick what stitch I want to do and what color yarn and what size hook I want?
    Jean Marie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    I looked at some grafts and charts on the Internet and the letters themselves do not look difficult to do. It would depend on if you wanted the letters in the middle of the blanket in different colors that would be a lot of yarn color changing. It might be easier to embroider the letters on.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Spoula.

Those of you who have done military blankets, did you embroider the military symbol on it or did you crochet the military symbol?

This is for anyone to answer:Where on the blanket would I put the 3 Greek letters - on the top, middle, side, or bottom?

The 3 Greek letters she wants look like the word TIM with a sideways M and the T looks like a upside-down L.
    Last edited by Jean Marie; 03-28-2017 at 01:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie, You Tube has a video on embroidering letters onto an afghan

You could also use a satin stitch or modified cross stitch. Moogly has instructions for crocheting the Greek letters to attach to your afghan Crochet Greek Alphabet, Part 1 - moogly . Hope this helps. Dafy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Dafy.

Post Thanks / Like
    How would I make the blanket look professional?

Post Thanks / Like
    Define what you mean by professional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dafydil View Post
    Define what you mean by professional.
    Hi Daf,
    By professional I mean to have it look really nice;not just something I did but something that looks like Wow!!!, like the military blankets are or like it was something that was ordered from a catalog.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jean Marie,
    You may want to visit these websites for ideas....

Crochet Parfait: Charted Greek Alphabet
    Ravelry: Charted Greek Alphabet pattern by Pam Grennes
    https://www.etsy.com/market/sorority_crochet afghan and scarf
    https://www.somethinggreek.com/produ...fleece-blanket fleece blanket
    https://www.etsy.com/market/sorority_blanket Has a granny square with Greek letters

Just before my pc crashed, I saw an afghan with Greek letters crocheted lengeth-wise just above the center. It looked to be all double crochets. I'll keep trying to find it.
    Hope this helps. Dafy

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I started the blanket with a hdc chainless foundation row and then chained 2 and did a hdc for the first row. They say to ch 1 after a chainless foundation when doing a hdc but I wanted to ch 2 and then they ch 2 at the beginning of each of the next rows.

what I did so far:
    . - hdc chainless foundation row
    . row 1 and 2 - unless you consider it row 2 and 3 - hdc
    . row 3 - unless you consider it row 4 - a little different -put hook through loop like in foundation row and pull yarn through and then put hook in next stitch and pull yarn through (3 loops on hook) and pull through all 3 loops. That way the hdc's are connected. I might do a triple crochet this way with yarn over 1st and pull through 2 and then pull through 3.

I just started row 3 (unless you say it's row 4 cause of the foundation row.) I'm crocheting in the ch at the end of the row to make the row straight and crocheting in the 1st stitch on ea row.

I'm using white yarn to crochet the blanket. She wants the letters gold and black. She said she didn't know what color for the blanket but hopefully white will be o.k.

Jean Marie