Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

need help with reading instructions

Hi there fellow crocheteers. My name is Sergei and I live in Kiev, Ukraine. I've become fascinated with crocheting and want to embark on a project, an easy one, or so the designer says. I've found a free pattern on favecrafts.com Giant Granny square throw (https://www.favecrafts.com/Crochet-A...red-heart-yarn)
    I have read a book on how to read instructions by Dorothy Wilks; however, I still cannot find an explanation to a tiny detail in the instruction, which I copy here:
    Row 1: Slip st in 4th ch from hook (counts as ch-1 space) slip st in next 2 chs, ch 1, skip next ch, slip st in next ch – 2 ch-1 spaces.

I cannot seem to get the idea of ch-1 space. Can anyone, please, explain what it means? I can read from the beginning that I have to slip stitch into 4th chain from the hook. The question here is: do I count the second chain as the first, or I have to count the very first chain, the one still on the hook, as the first one? Then, according to the instruction, I have to slip stitch in the next 2 chains, then chain one and slip stitch in the second chain from the one currently engaged in action; and then I am dumbfounded : the instruction says I have to slip stitch in the "next chain - 2 ch-1 spaces" Please, someone, help me understand what - (minus) sign means here? Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the help.
    Last edited by Jovazzle; 04-26-2017 at 06:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    At the bottom of your pattern there is a helpful hint where other readers are having this same problem understanding the first row. There is an explanation written to help. I read this and the pattern but I don't see where they got 3 ch 1 spaces based on their instructions. The pattern itself states 2 ch 1 spaces completed. I am sure others will respond to your help request.

This is how I understand your first row.
    The instructions say to chain 8 and slip stitch into the 4th chain when you do this you have thread that goes from the hook to the 4th chain this creates a ch 1 space. Now you have 4 chains left to work. slip stitch into the next 2 chains. 2 chains left to work. chain 1, skip one chain and the last chain to work you will slip stitch. this will give you 2 ch 1 spaces from the original 8 chains you started with. The - sign is just stating that you have completed your row and have 2 ch 1 spaces completed.
    Hope this helps,
    Spoula
    Last edited by spoula; 04-26-2017 at 07:54 AM.

3. Thanks Jovazzle thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, Spoula. Even though I still do not understand the math behind (how, for example, 4 chains create a 1 chain space ) I am sure I will be able to read further instructions. Thanks a lot.

Post Thanks / Like
    That minus after "next chain should be a period you will have two chain one spaces

slip stitch in the next chain. 2 ch 1 spaces

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks for the comment

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jovazzle,
    The 1st chain from the hook is the 1st chain, not the 2nd chain or the yarn on the hook. If you chain 8, you have 8 chains and you are supposed to slip stitch into the 4th chain.

Post Thanks / Like