Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Question about nonchaining foundations

I just recently learned about creating a foundation without chaining. A very neat trick! My question is, does it effect a pattern if it calls for standard chaining? For example, if a pattern says to chain 170 and then dc across the foundation chain, I can just do a dc foundation and complete the pattern? Or will the end result be different if I don't do the initial chaining?

Thank you, Oh wiseones.

Post Thanks / Like
    It is my understanding, it simple makes the foundation of your crochet piece more uniform - where you don't see the foundation chain on the edge of your crochet piece.

I personally always do a chain since this was how I was taught. I will however in the future check into the no chain foundation.

Others may come along and comment as well. :0)

For those interested in learning more:

no_chain.html

3. Thanks jdgmar thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didnt realize you could do it with DCs!
    I have only seen it as a SC and it takes the place if the first row is a row of SCs.

Maybe others have more information

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Suewin View Post
    I didnt realize you could do it with DCs!
    I have only seen it as a SC and it takes the place if the first row is a row of SCs.

Maybe others have more information
    I've done all the basic stitches for practice. I haven't attempted any projects though.

Ch 2 yarn over and go into the first stitch. Pull up a loop so you have three. Yarn over and pull through the first loop only. That will be your next stitch to dc in. (I pinched that loop the first few times until I got the hang of it.) Complete the dc as normal. You can adapt that to a tc or a hdc as well. Just remember to only pull through the first loop to create the next stitch before you finish your stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi wjewel,
    If you go to the post 'Afghan Samplers' and click on one of the square patterns, you will see that on row 1 of square 1, 2, 9 and maybe some of the other squares; you will see that a foundation chain is not the same amount of stitches as the regular way of chaining.

The chainless foundation stitch is stretchy as the regular way isn't stretchy. The Tunisian stitch or Afghan stitch is also stretchy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    Hi wjewel,
    If you go to the post 'Afghan Samplers' and click on one of the square patterns, you will see that on row 1 of square 1, 2, 9 and maybe some of the other squares; you will see that a foundation chain is not the same amount of stitches as the regular way of chaining.

The chainless foundation stitch is stretchy as the regular way isn't stretchy. The Tunisian stitch or Afghan stitch is also stretchy.
    Thanks Jean Marie. I did notice that the foundation was a lot more stretchy. I've tried the simple Tunisian stitch and liked it, but need the long hook to really do something with it. I'll be looking into the Afghan stitch. I love learning new ones.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wjewell_iii View Post
    I just recently learned about creating a foundation without chaining. A very neat trick! My question is, does it effect a pattern if it calls for standard chaining? For example, if a pattern says to chain 170 and then dc across the foundation chain, I can just do a dc foundation and complete the pattern? Or will the end result be different if I don't do the initial chaining?

Thank you, Oh wiseones.
    You can do the foundation chain in sc, dc, or tc stitches....it all works the same. But when your foundation chain is finished you are then ready for row two (2) of your project. So if row one (1) required a stitch pattern set up, like with a chevron pattern, you would not be able to use the foundation chain. Unless of course you could work the stitch pattern set up into the foundation chain. I never tried that. In other words if you do a foundation chain, then you should be starting on row two. You don't do row 1 or it will be a repeat a and spoil your project.
    Sharing is Caring. For Free Crochet Patterns Visit me at:
    http://idealdelusions.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Doris, that was my interpretation but as usual, I over thought it. Haha.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you I will try this I have never quiet been able to continue on without making mistakes after the first few stitches
    Bettybee