Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Learning to read patterns

Hello! Just a beginner here and learning to read patterns, which still look foreign, but just trying to read them first and understand before I jump into the project. (Seriously this is my very first crochet pattern) I have knitted a few critters and am now learning to crochet. So here is my first instructions and will repeat throught the majority of the project.
    Row 1: Chain 50, [1sc, 1dc] in 2nd ch from hook, sk st, *[ 1sc, 1dc] in next st, sk st, repeat from * across.

so does [1sc, 1dc] mean do a single stitch AND a double stitch in the same chain loop?

Post Thanks / Like
    No, [1sc, 1dc] means 1 single crochet and then 1 double crochet in the next one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shana,
    Based on the description I understand it to mean to do one single and one double in the second chain from the hook. When you see the repeat pattern it says to do 1sc, 1dc in next stitch then skip a stitch and do this again for the rest of the row.
    At least that is how I read it. I did a project that had those two stitches in one stitch and it is pretty. My pattern repeat was 1sc 1hdc in the same stitch. I made a baby dress.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Shana,
    I looked at the instructions again and it does look like the single crochet and the double crochet is in the 2nd chain from hook and again 1 single crochet and 1 double crochet in the next stitch and repeat. Sorry, I guess I was wrong before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes plus you have to sk st in between

Post Thanks / Like
    Shana.
    I just posted a picture of the baby dress I mentioned in my respond to your question about the 2 stitches in the same stitch.
    Take a look and you can see that your pattern repeat will look good. The difference between your pattern and mine are that you have (1sc,1dc) and mine was (1hdc,1sc) don't forget to skip a stitch between.
    Good luck with your pattern.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for your help! I practiced it last night and it looks great! Now I just have to make sure I'm doing all the stitches i a row, was loosing them as I went

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes it does

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your new project would love to see the finished project