Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  64
Page 1 of 9 123 ... Last

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation I don't need to know how!

My son was dating a wonderful young girl that we have know since she was a baby. She is friendly, smart, and cute. I asked her about cooking and she replied "I don't need to know how. I'm going to college so I'll get a job and eat out." I thought that was very sad but so many young girls and boys don't want to learn cook, do any type of craft or repairs, and so many other things that bring joy and satisfaction to our lives. They think a college education is all they need in life. The few that I have talked to about crocheting, knitting, or sewing thought it was too old fashioned.

2. Likes chp liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hello,

This new generation of young people are so much different than when we were young. Many of them do not want to be responsible in so many ways. It is kinda sad in a way - but I am sure there are some young people in the world that are taking responsibility by the horns and living the best way possible!

4. Likes Carolyn Crye, OregonCaro liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very sad that these kids were raised with this attitude. I tried to raise my kids to know how to do household things and to appreciate everything they have. It is amazing to see them now as adults raising their children!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's not "kinda sad" it's incredibly sad and very destructive to our society. Three friends of mine, all past 60, are supporting adult kids and grandkids. True, there are people who are responsible, but fewer and fewer with each generation THOUGH the Great Recession make reset attitudes.

As for the young woman whose going to college ... then what? Will she be able to get a job. Will it pay enough to eat out? Knowing how to cook is a survival skill.

I just get miffed when I read about people who think a degree means they don't need other skills. I have a B.A. and an M.A. and neither gave me the skills I have to run a household, a business, and manage finances. I made it my business to learn all the skills needed to be a functioning responsible adult.

I just wish more young people would realize that life is complicated and they need to be prepared.

7. Likes Carolyn Crye, Dsynr liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Both of my daughters were raised to know how to cook, but they never really cared to actually do it. They were also responsible for various tasks around the house and they were also exposed to all my various forms of diversion (crocheting, quilting, sewing, macrame, knitting, doll making etc...) but they were never very interested in doing any of them. As adults they are wonderful mothers and with really terrific husbands (providing me with the sons I never had...) and they have found their own creative diversions... Among other things I tried to impress on them as children was to think for themselves and to be independent. Today they are two of the most awesome women I know and I am so proud to be their mother... (enough bragging...) beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Many of todays youth are in for a rude awakening when they enter the Adult World! Maybe that's why there are so many people on public assisstance these days? I'm not knocking public assisstance-some people are truely in need of it-and not because they are lazy! I am proud to say that my children are awesome as well! Another thought-if everybody learned to cook, all the restaurants and fast food places would go out of business! LOL!!!!

10. Likes Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I like the way you think...a loaf of bread..a pound of bologna and ten skeins of yarn...and i'm good

12. Likes Carolyn Crye liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    My Grammy used to say "Tough times will not get you through days without blankets, but blankets will help you get through tough times." She said that whenever Gramp complained about her 'always fiddlin' with stuff in your hands, woman." LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    History seems to repeat itself, good times and then hard times. It's just a good job there are grannies around who remember how to actually make things

Post Thanks / Like
    Hopefully she'll realize that eating out all the time takes a HUGE chunk out of the daily budget.

For the cost of one meal out, you can purchase enough yarn to make a beautiful afghan!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices