Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  64
Page 2 of 9 First 1234 ... Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Bebe, if you son marries this wonderful girl, just be the best and most wonderful Mother-in-law you can. Love her with all your heart. She may have or had a Mother who didn't take the time to show how much fun it is to cook and crochet or do crafts. It's sometimes difficult for us to accept remarks made by our younger generations, but God Bless 'em.....they'll see the light. I wish my Grandmother was here, so I could thank her for her patience with me.

2. Likes Theresa L, crochethottie, tas liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know what you mean! Only a handful of my friends even know how to crochet or knit and none of their children (including mine) have any interest in learning at all! I so hope that knitting and crocheting do not become dying arts. Hopefully I'll still be around to teach my grandchildren and great grandchildren...if they show any interest!

Post Thanks / Like
    Six Grandchildren and only ONE of the girls, 14 years old now shows an interest in crafts. She can single crochet and is making an afghan, gonna take her while because she refuses to learn double crochet ;o) But her love is hooked rugs, so she goes back and forth with the projects. Of course, her FAVORITE thing to do is playing video games! ARGHHH! ......time will tell. Things are truly different these days, wishing we at least had some chickens for her to take care of or a cow to milk! lol

Post Thanks / Like
    keylady - I live on a small farm with chickens & goats and all three of my kids preferred video games to anything else & the oldest is 28! She did however pick up crochet when she got pregnant and her maternal instincts kicked in- same as me. It all comes back around, I believe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I found that shocking i was only 16 when i learned how to crochet i'm 20 now and i still cant put the needle down. Many older people are shocked that i crochet and cook. you still need skills for life I don't understand my generation but my adopted mother misty taught me how to be a house wife and I will teach my children all she has taught to me.

7. Likes Theresa L, Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you, Sarah1313! I too learned all the domestic arts as a child but I was not interested in most of them. I preferred reading, playing board games and later painting and drawing. It wasn't until I was married and a mom that I began to really appreciate what I had learned and saw the beauty in decorating my home with the things I made. While I love being a homemaker, my hobbies are quite diverse so crocheting is only one of them. But I did go through a period or two when I was seldom without a crochet hook in my hands. Good luck with your crocheting.

9. Likes Lili, sarah1313 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's interesting to me that all of us who have posted comments are sharing basically the same experiences. That's one of the best things about growing up, finding that others share common experiences with us.

BTW, I'm loving the tutorials on learning to crochet. It's just exactly what I needed to give me a push.

11. Likes Lili liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It is very sad. Someone should clue her into today's economy. I know a few college grads with fancy degrees that are not working and cannot afford to eat out.
    I taught my son to cook, and in HS he worked in a resteruant kitcen. Now he's a better cook than I am (nice to get invited over). Everyone should be able to fend for themselves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi I'm relating to your comment! I am an artist and have crocheted for about 40 years. I believe since the arts became less important in school, children have less interest. Exposure to the arts,(visual, musical, manual) has been shown to be so beneficial to brain development. It teaches problem solving, patience and creative thinking! I was able to pass on my love of arts of all kinds to my own girls who are in their 40's and now have also had success with my two adopted girls who are just turning 20 and are finishing their 2nd year in college away from home. They have shown interest in cooking recently because eating on campus is using much of their expense money allotment for the semester. My house is full of paints, canvas, yarn, fabric etc. so they were constantly bombarded. However, "necessity is the mother of invention" when it became a real necessity to eat they are learning to cook. Maybe it will be a similar experience with this young girl. I hope so!

14. Likes Theresa L liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'M still here, working outside in the yard and garden, not much craft work and I am missing.
    Janet