Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    No it wasn't fun. My left thumb hurts but after having the right one fixed it took a lot longer to heal. The Dr told me also that Cipro will weaken tendons and I always took that for sinus infection and now I have an Achilles tendon injury which can also be related. Try putting some ice on your thumb and try taking breaks its annoying but as we get older and over use our body things break down and what more do you use than your hands. I still do a lot of crochet,quilting,cross stitch but sometimes when crocheting I have to quit for a while. At least you know that your hand can be fixed. They usually start with cortisone and a week or two of resting the hand and then I always started in as usual we gotta do our crafts. Enjoy our crafts. Sue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Lulu. And I know, what's up with that?!

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I'm pretty bad at taking breaks. Once I get rolling I don't want to stop!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ging36ging View Post
    I've tried them but I still ended up having to have Tendon Releases on both hands and most fingers and my right thumb. I understand your pain. They tried the cortizone shots but as long as we continue to use our hands they will bother us. Dr. always told me to crochet for a while and stop but I doubt he knew what it was like to crochet a project. I had even asked the Dr. about the gloves and he told me they wouldn't work and I did try and they don't. Good luck. Sue
    My hands don't hurt.

5. Likes lcat95118 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    We seem to have this discussion from time to time and I've put my two cents worth in on occasion. I've been dealing with these problems for years and so far I've managed to escape surgery. Here's what I do - 1) wear wrist splints, at least at night if not also while you crochet (they keep swelling down); 2) take 200 mg of Vit B6 (a nerve pain killer) and 1000 mg of Bromelain (an anti-inflammatory) daily; 3) get the cd of wrist exercises from The Carpal Tunnel Institute, $57, and do them religiously. I've tried those gloves and they didn't do anything for me, but I could see them helping people by keeping their hands warm/increasing circulation. I'm not suggesting that anyone do anything without consulting with their Dr.; I'm just letting you know what's helped me. In terms of the left thumb hurting, ice and gentle massage helps.

7. Thanks lcat95118 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I knew about the bromelain, but not the B6. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, I have RA. Would you all think the gloves would help my hands and fingers. Just asking what you all done experience with the gloves. My arthritis hurt a lot. But I get to crocheting I just keep going. When I can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lulu12 View Post
    hey icat i got mine at the drug store they are nylon ----have you noticed the right hand does all the work and it is always the left hand that hurts

I've noticed that also! Guess it's from holding the thumb tightly and not moving it around as much as the right hand moves, huh?
    I've bought my stress gloves at Walmart--I believe they help! I now carry them with me in my purse--I crochet almost everywhere I go!!

Post Thanks / Like
    I had both hands done for carpal tunnel , It was the best thing I ever did. Crochet away..........

Post Thanks / Like
    Mash52 - At one point I checked out gloves that were much heavier-duty than the lightweight nylon ones talked about here. I couldn't tell you if they would help your RA; seems this could be a discussion for your Dr. or a support group. I've seen people with advanced RA in their hands. It looks sooo painful and their hands are so distorted. Hopefully you aren't (and never will be) at that point.