Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 6 First 1234 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    they even have crochet patterns for your toilet seat and toilet tanks to go along with that toilet tissue cover!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beviboo View Post
    Hi Everyone, Here's my 2 cents... I think that crochet is really making a big comeback. I've never seen very much about it in quite a few years but all of a sudden there are all these new (found) and exciting techniques with modernized patterns... For so long it was just toilet tissue covers and stuff like that. I am not putting them down it is just that the artform needed a shot in the arm and from what I've been seeing there are so many updated looks and choices now. I am very excited about where crocheting is heading and glad to be going along for the ride. I think I've mentioned this before but the one thing that really draws me to crochet is that it cannot be duplicated (exactly) by a machine...there are several 'looks-kinda-like' crochet items that are called crochet, but when you look at them closely you can see that it isn't the same... love it...beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    nothing is more relaxing than crocheting outside on my balcony and listening to the birds. i would rather crochet than watch t.v.
    Quote Originally Posted by kl1000 View Post
    Crocheting is for patient people and performs relaxation. One day your people will need to relax

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm 23 and I've been crocheting since I was about 14, and have always loved it. When I was a teen-ager, I taught a neighborhood ten year old boy how to crochet hats, and he went home to his grandmother and had her teach him how to do some different kinds of stitches, and the next day, he came back and taught me! Young people these days are just too distracted by technology to appreciate anything that isn't pre-fabricated. If it isn't ready to go already, young people see it as requiring too much time and effort. I, for one, love to crochet... I love making things, and if it makes me a little extra money, even better!

Post Thanks / Like
    they would rather shell out big money $$$$$$ at the mall for the outfit, but when they ask you how much you would make the same outfit for and your reply is " oh about what you paid for that swim suit" than they still would want the mall outfit-----go figure!?!? but in the long run you know that your crochet work is made in the u.s.a!
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetgal View Post
    Part of the problem may be that there isn't any 'instant gratification' in crocheting. It takes time and effort in order to produce something.

Many would just rather go to the mall and purchase the item outright. Of course they don't get the benefit of the quality of handmade nor the satisfaction of having made something themselves.

5. Likes Winter Bullock liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been crocheting and knitting since I was about 7 yrs. old I was also probably sewing at that time as well. My mother was an old fashioned seamstress. We were 3 children, 2 girls and 1 boy. My mother made all the girls' clothing including suits and coats. When my brother started college my mother bought her first pattern, a man's shirt pattern, and she made him several shirts. I learned these skills quite young. My brother even used to use my mother's sewing machine to try to mend his shoes.
    I taught one of my daughter how to knit and she does a decent job of it. My other daughter never had the time to learn as she was always too busy with her friends.

Post Thanks / Like
    I learned to knit, crochet, do needlepoint as well as use the sewing machine as part of our home economics Classes at school. Another part of those classes for both boys and girls included the basics of cooking, balancing a checkbook and doing the market order. For the boys in the class there was auto shop, wood shop and metal shop.

We had one semester that was 'open' in that we could select any two topics and get extra instruction in them. As a girl I fought very hard to be allowed into the wood shop and the auto shop as that just wasn't allowed. In the end, I won the battle and as a result, the boys in the classes were allowed to take any of the 'girls' classes as well.

With that basic training and help from my mother (who also knit, crocheted and sewed) I managed to learn enough to be able to make my own clothes. At that time my parents couldn't afford to give us every new thing we wanted but we learned very early that with a bit of work, we could make the same outfits that we saw in the shops for less than they were charging.

By the time I was finishing off my last years in High School I was making clothes from my own patterns for a number of my friends. As I continued on to University, I used my sewing skills to help pay my way through school.

One of the best classes that I took however, was that basic auto mechanics class. It inspired me to continue on after my University graduation and get my certification (which I never used). I've tinkered with cars since I was in school.... almost 40 years now. Just knowing those basics has not only saved me a huge amount of money but inspired an entire hobby. My partner and I have been building, repairing, modifying and racing classic cars for many years now.

So if my crochet project isn't working out right, I can go and take out my frustrations on the car in a good way!
    Crochetgal on Etsy - Beautiful yarns, affordable prices

Post Thanks / Like
    I think there is hope. I've been teaching my eight year old granddaughter to crochet per her request and who knows, maybe she'll teach her grandkids.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have started crocheting being 38 yo....

Post Thanks / Like
    There may still be hope for crocheting! A number of people are teaching their children or grandchildren to crochet! And that's encouraging! My great grandmother taught me to crochet! Today, families are so scattered and shattered that kids don't know their grandparents, etc! They have no role models! No matter what, I think us crocheters will always be in the minority! But that's just fine with me!

Post Thanks / Like
    I would also have to agree that crocheting is a dying craft, but I did teach my daughter the basics and she loves to crochet, a few of her friends can knit but not many. she has been teased (all in good fun) about being a granny, thank goodness these things dont bother her cuz she continues to crochet. when on road trips or when having a movie night with friends.