Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Help With Pattern Instructions

Hello,
    I am working on a baby bonnet. I started at the Back of the hat Row 1 had 11 sc, after 31 rows and decreases I fastened off at row 31 with 9 sticthes. To start the crown, the pattern reads Row 1 - with Right side facing, join yarn with sc at end of row 1, work 24 sc evenly across spaces at end of rows: sc in each sc across Row 31, work 25 sc in evenly spaced across end of rows to Row 1: 59 stitches. So if I sc across 25 across rows, 9 stiches from row 31 and then 24 across the other side, isn't that 58 stitches all together? What am I doing wrong?

Row 2 says Ch 1 turn: sc in Front Loop Only of each SC - does this mean sc across only the 59 stitches, or do I include the 11 from row 1?

Next (and hopefully last question is) Row 4 says chain 1 turn sc in first sc work BPdc around sc one row below next sc. *sc in next 3 sc, work BPdc around one row below next sc; repeat from * across to last sc and sc in last stitch. My question is, does the BPCdc count as a stitch? So for instance if I sc in 3 then one BPdc is that 4 stitches? I guess what I am asking is if the BPdc takes the place of a sc in that particular stitch?
    Also, am I only working on the 58 stitches, or am I including the 11 from Row 1 and working on 69 stitches?

Hope I have made myself clear. I really would appreciate your help. Have mercy on a beginner lol!
    Thank you,
    Janie

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Janie,
    For you first question: I, too, came up with 58 stitches.
    question 2: I would think that since this is the crown that you only do the 3 sides that when you do the front loop in each sc you are doing the front loop in the sc that you just did.

Next question: After you do the 3 sc and the 1 bpdc you do your next sc in the next stitch, so yes, I would count the bpdc as a stitch. I would just do the 58 stitches, not the 69 stitches.

3. Thanks Janie thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jean,
    Thank you so much for responding.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Hello,
    I am working on a baby bonnet. I started at the Back of the hat Row 1 had 11 sc, after 31 rows and decreases I fastened off at row 31 with 9 sticthes. To start the crown, the pattern reads Row 1 - with Right side facing, join yarn with sc at end of row 1, work 24 sc evenly across spaces at end of rows: sc in each sc across Row 31, work 25 sc in evenly spaced across end of rows to Row 1: 59 stitches. So if I sc across 25 across rows, 9 stiches from row 31 and then 24 across the other side, isn't that 58 stitches all together? What am I doing wrong?

Row 2 says Ch 1 turn: sc in Front Loop Only of each SC - does this mean sc across only the 59 stitches, or do I include the 11 from row 1?

Next (and hopefully last question is) Row 4 says chain 1 turn sc in first sc work BPdc around sc one row below next sc. *sc in next 3 sc, work BPdc around one row below next sc; repeat from * across to last sc and sc in last stitch. My question is, does the BPCdc count as a stitch? So for instance if I sc in 3 then one BPdc is that 4 stitches? I guess what I am asking is if the BPdc takes the place of a sc in that particular stitch?
    Also, am I only working on the 58 stitches, or am I including the 11 from Row 1 and working on 69 stitches?

Hope I have made myself clear. I really would appreciate your help. Have mercy on a beginner lol!
    Thank you,
    Janie

Hi Janie, I'm glad Jean responded because I'd typed up about 3/4 of a reply early this week in the a.m. when I'm not usually up and around. I'd seen that no one had responded yet & I knew you wanted to get back to work on your bonnet, but then the transportation for my dr's appt pulled up and I had to go. By the time I got back to this site, Jean had offered her help, but I wanted you to know that I had tried so you wouldn't think no one was getting back to you. We do help each other a lot but pattern specifics are a little tough when you're not involved directly in the pattern, yo know what I mean?!
    I thought maybe the designer putting 59 stitches was possibly a misprint. Can you reach her at all in case you have more problems and that part or something doesn't work out? They're usually pretty good about responding unless the pattern is really old and they don't have it where they can easily see questions.
    I put all of my contact info on my patterns so anyone can reach me in multiple places, to me it's just the right thing to do. Hope your bonnet works out well!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 03-05-2016 at 02:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan,
    It was so sweet of you to respond. I understand it's difficult to help with patterns when you are not working on it yourself, but I was desperate! This particular pattern was in a crochet book of beginning baby layettes so being so new at this, I never even thought it could be a mistake on anyone's part but my own. But, I'm happy to say, I worked on it over and over and finally got it. The bonnet came out very cute and I think good for my first attempt.
    Now for the sweater! Oh my god, what a disaster LOL! I have arms going sideways, can't tell where the yoke starts or ends..parts look like a doile....I've given up completely on that. Before I rip it all out, I may take a picture of it to post so all you experienced crocheters can get a good laugh. Thank you again.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't kill yourself laughing

Okay.....just for laughs I have attached pictures for your enjoyment
    Pictures: one picture of what I was attempting to make, one picture of the sweater disaster (front and back) can't tell what it is either way lol! My family is still laughing although they don't crochet at all, they know a disaster when they see it. One told me it is more complicated than a rubic cube to figure out.
    For your enjoyment I also included the flip side of the disaster.
    And also the completed bonnet and booties which I think is not bad for my first attempt.
    On a good note, I think my stitches look pretty good....just obviously don't have a clue how to follow directionsl

Hope I made you all smile!
    Janie

PS I may have to stick with afghans!!
    Attached Images Attached Images Help With Pattern Instructions-look-jpg Help With Pattern Instructions-disaster-1-jpg Help With Pattern Instructions-hat-booties-jpg Help With Pattern Instructions-disaster-2-jpg 

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi! Are you counting the sc that you joined the yarn on with? If you do my count is 59 stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Janie, you talking about your sweater going dfferent ways, about 15 years ago, I was going on vacation to Germany, the trip was going to take 11 hours from Houston. I decided I was going to take a book and yarn and learn to Knit on the long trip. I was going to make my husband a sweater. My niece was going with me and she said every time she looked at me I was tearing it out. When we got back home I had most of it done, yes, one arm was longer than the other. When I showed it to my sister , she asked me if I knitted it or crocheted it. Some how I threw the yarn it came out looking like
    I had crocheted it. Not having anyone telling me what I was doing wrong, I finished it with a funny stitch. My husband tried it on then promptly put it in the closet. He wasn't about to wear it. I kept it around to remind me never to try it again. So I would be one person that wouldn't laugh at your jacket. Your booties and bonnet are very nice. Love, Margaret

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Hi! Are you counting the sc that you joined the yarn on with? If you do my count is 59 stitches.
    Aha, good eye Imalefty, you might be on to something there, thx for that. This is how helping each other helps so many people!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Susan,
    It was so sweet of you to respond. I understand it's difficult to help with patterns when you are not working on it yourself, but I was desperate! This particular pattern was in a crochet book of beginning baby layettes so being so new at this, I never even thought it could be a mistake on anyone's part but my own. But, I'm happy to say, I worked on it over and over and finally got it. The bonnet came out very cute and I think good for my first attempt.
    Now for the sweater! Oh my god, what a disaster LOL! I have arms going sideways, can't tell where the yoke starts or ends..parts look like a doile....I've given up completely on that. Before I rip it all out, I may take a picture of it to post so all you experienced crocheters can get a good laugh. Thank you again.
    Well, we have to at least try things, and it's good to be able to laugh at ourselves & with each other, but you're not alone as you see! I tried a top for myself to wear, well, let's say I may try again some day but that wasn't the pattern for by body style apparently. The front and back were made together but the way the arms were, it made the top way too long for me and I'm 5' tall. I did learn a lot but I frogged it out and made a beautiful spring Virus (Scalloped) Shawl with the silky, satiny yarn, and I love it! My next top attempt won't be a 2 piece sew together pattern, if there is another attempt! I'm glad your pieces all came out good in the end!