Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Question regarding Gauges

Hi,
    I am crocheting a bobble baby blanket from the pattern that came with the yarn. It is Lion Brand Jiffy Mohair Look Yarn.
    The pattern recommends a K hook and the gauge is 2 sc = 1 inch. I was unable to obtain this gauge until I used a size M hook. Does it make any sense that I would have to go up that much higher than the pattern recommends? I probably could have even gone up another size larger since it was just a tad below the inch. I don't really crochet tight, so was wondering if I am doing something wrong...or is it common the recommended hook could be that much different.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Most crochet patterns say to use a certain hook, such as the K hook in your pattern "or size to obtain gauge" or something like that, so since you are getting the correct gauge with the M hook, go for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Many moons ago I crocheted an afghan for my mom. Normally I don't check gauge because a little larger or smaller on an afghan isn't a big deal, but as I was working on the first square I realized something was very wrong - the square was huge! I had to go down 3 hook sizes to match the size given on the pattern. I don't know if there was a typo, but I made the adjustment and my mom loves the afghan. In short, do what's right for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nova55,
    Thank you so much for responding. It just didn't make any sense to me since the pattern came with the yarn, but you're right, I just moved to the bigger hook and it is looking adorable. Unfortunately, I had already worked up one skein of yarn before I realized it was way to small and had to pull it all out, but I'm glad I did because now it's perfect!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    Many moons ago I crocheted an afghan for my mom. Normally I don't check gauge because a little larger or smaller on an afghan isn't a big deal, but as I was working on the first square I realized something was very wrong - the square was huge! I had to go down 3 hook sizes to match the size given on the pattern. I don't know if there was a typo, but I made the adjustment and my mom loves the afghan. In short, do what's right for you.
    Usually I don't pay attention to gauge either. I crochet with the recommended hook but if the stitches don't look right I will change hooks until they do. If I am making a garment and the new hook makes it look too big or too small I adjust the number of pattern repeats. Of course this requires frogging the beginning once or twice and possibly adjusting other areas on the garment but it seems to always work for me. I guess it all comes down to patience and practice. The practice I have, almost 60 years, but sometimes I have to search for the elusive patience.

The only patterns I follow for blankets and afghans are the occasional stitch patterns, but never a pattern for the entire piece. I just make my chain long enough until it "looks good" making sure I've used the multiples required for the stitch I've picked and go from there.

Char

6. Likes Nova55, Megcsti liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the same problem with a pair of shark slippers. I bought the pattern, read it twice, and gave it a whirl. i even made gauge swatches since this was for a dear cousin. The yarn was the same, the gauge was what was printed, and the slippers came out about 10 sizes too big--it fit her mommy. I tried again, ignoring gauge, with baby yarn and a smaller hook (and I crochet loooosely), and they just fit. Sometimes, it seems, we have to eyeball the work, and then do what makes sense. Do what works for you, and don't sweat it. Please put a picture of finished afghan.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Janie View Post
    Hi,
    I am crocheting a bobble baby blanket from the pattern that came with the yarn. It is Lion Brand Jiffy Mohair Look Yarn.
    The pattern recommends a K hook and the gauge is 2 sc = 1 inch. I was unable to obtain this gauge until I used a size M hook. Does it make any sense that I would have to go up that much higher than the pattern recommends? I probably could have even gone up another size larger since it was just a tad below the inch. I don't really crochet tight, so was wondering if I am doing something wrong...or is it common the recommended hook could be that much different.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thank you.
    I don't worry about gauge for afghans so much, I mostly am concerned about the size and that my stitching isn't too loose. (I like a warm afghan) I normally check to be sure I get the correct size adjusting the chain to achieve it.