Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last
    Vaunda
    I seldom work in Granny squares changing colors every row because of the end that have to be sewn in. I did just finish two ponchos where I had two ends for every row, and though I hate sewing in ends I console myself that when it is done I will have a very nice finished product. Patience is a virture Vaunda

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found that as I have become more experienced and my crochet stitches have become more consistent I like what I am making more, which helps me want to finish it. When making a afghan I try to weave in as much as I can as I go, this makes less of a mess to work with when I am done. I also always make something someone needs, ponchos, shrugs, afghans, backpacks, purses, or sweaters. I have also used my local library to get books on crochet tips and techniques. I have had my share of rip outs too, I have riped out a whole project and had to completely redo it more than I would like to admit, I find that it is better to rip something out and start over than to try and build on top of mistakes. Be patient and kind to yourself, with practice you will finish a project you love that will encourage you to make more.

3. Likes Janie, Carolyn Crye liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I know your feeling. I have been working for months on an afghan that gave me much trouble. I came here for help because I was determined not to give up on it. I got the help and support I needed, got it going, looking great and with only about 2 rows to go and just sc on the edgings to finish....I put it down and haven't touched it for months!! Why? I don't know. I just lost some interest I guess, or maybe I just got so tired of the struggles with it....I felt done once I got the hang of it..who knows? It is was it is so I have left it, but I will not start another project until it's finished because of all the work and determination I put into it and eventually, when the time is right and I want to start up on something new, I've made myself a promise, that I will finish the old one first. Let's see how long that takes lol. Just know you are not alone feeling like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Start with something small and then make yourself finsh it.good luck.

6. Likes Carolyn Crye liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi from California!!!!! This helped me. At one point in my crocheting life I found myself with 37 wips(work in progress). I said"enough" got myself 37 2 quart plastic bags, put each unfinished project in a bag and numbered them 1 to 37. Tell yourself I will finish bag 1 and do it! Truly. once you start this prosess it becomes easier and easier. About securing your blankets are you running you ends when you cut the thread back into blankets? Hope this been of some help to you . Sincerely Tinsellybee

Post Thanks / Like

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Brandi View Post
    I am finding that I have trouble with finishing projects.
    I know this is something that only I can change, but I was wondering if anyone else suffers with this as well and what it is that they do that helps them through it?

Also, I have troubles with securing the blankets when they are done to look neat and professional is there any tips that anyone can suggest that works for them?
    Something for a beginner?

Thank you
    Good Morning! Perhaps you mean that they don't seem very square when you are done? One way to make a blanket/afghan straight is to build it from a lot of small squares. But if you prefer the single piece type, as I do, stay aware of the shape (and the tautness of the yarn) as you go along. Then adjust when you are adding the edge. This works best for minor adjusting. Work on the edging with the afghan on a table, blocked square. Match the stitch count on opposite sides of it.
    How do I come to finish a project? I just consider each step a 'new' project, not a finish-up. I don't know if other people do this, but I also take a LOT of time just looking at what I create, imagining it done as I go along. And, if it is for someone specific or a project (such as Project Linus) that is an incentive for me to get it done. Take a picture of your afghan before you give it away, and you can 'keep' it forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    If the projects you are working on are large, it can get boring, so I found that by putting one down, picking up another, and so forth, usually gets them all completed. I usually work on a crochet pattern, something knitted, and I sew and quilt as well, so between the various crafts I have enough to keep me from getting bored with one project.

Post Thanks / Like
    You have all given such great answers...for Miss Brandi. In time you will find that you are just in the mood to do something and it will click for you and that will get you back on your path to finishing your wips... I am not a person who usually starts something and finishes it right away unless it is for a specific event (Xmas, Birthday...etc) and currently I am not allowing myself to work on anything until I get my craft/sewing room organized... and it looks like this week might just be the time I will do it. I've finally decided on some major issues that I've had and am going forward with them...once I have the room done I can't wait to share it with all of you...later...beverly

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello crochet talk crowd. i work on several projects at one time because i get bored if it is something that is going to take a long time. Tpnight i started a baby dress, by the way i can only crochet from a pattern. ireached a certain point in the pattern and had to quit. because i can't understand the rest of the pattern. i wish i had more experience because i can't figure a lot of patterns. some of them seem very vague. anyway thats my problem with crocheting. but i am obsessed. i'm a retired lady and i crochet every day. i taught myself with a learn how book many years ago. there is a lot of things i still need to learn.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you, I find utube very helpful with stitch instruction. What does the pattern say where you are stuck? Maybe one of us can help you.