Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: uneven rolls

Post Thanks / Like

uneven rolls

I have a problem with makeing straight rows when crocheting. I made my grandson a baby blanket and it tuned out so crooked it wasn't funny. I sent it to my daughter anyway. She used it for him. She lives in Ky. and I live in Maine. I did get to go down for his birth. I need some help on how to keep my rolls straight. Would really apriciate it very much. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey,congrats on the baby. Grandkids are the best. About your uneven rows count count and count again. I know it would be nice if there was an easier answer but there's not. If its a long row you can use markers. I do when counting out the chain. I can't keep my mind from wondering.I hope someone else has a better idea. I know what its like to wait for someone to get back to you. Good luck don't give up. It's good for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe it's when you do the chains on the beginning of a row if it says to work say a chain then two dc to make 3 you do an extra dc I hope you can understand what I meant. I used to do that and it kept increasing the row instead of keeping it even. Hope this helps. Also when reading the pattern read it in sections like do 3dc then they might put a comma work to comma then do what it says after the comma until you finish rows. Hope this helps good luck. Sue

4. Likes missro007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you billiebob. Grandkids are the best! lol. Thank you for the advice. I do believe the markers would work better for me. Not only did the poor child have a crooked blanket he had a hat that was big enough for his momma to wear. lol. I followed the instructions on it and everything. Hook and all! Working on a 4 strand rug using afghan hook right now. Love afghan hooks. Can't go wrong with them unless you trying to get fancy with them. lol

P.S. love your frog. Love frogs. lol
    Last edited by tamtam; 01-17-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you ging36ging. I think one of the problems there is when it says like single crochet in next stitch when you chain one at the end of the row, I either wind up putting the stitch in the one behind or the one forward of the stitch that i'm supposed to use so that makes the crooked in and out rows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe this will help. When it says chain 1 (counts as a single crochet), that ch 1 has a bad habit of disappearing when you get back to it. I always put a stitch marker in it (the plastic safety pin kind work best for me). That way, your rows come out all nice and neat. If you need photos, feel free to ask, and I'll mock something up and post it for you.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you Megcsti. That would be great! I would really like it if you could do that for me. That would help out a whole lot. That is a beautiful sweater that you are wearing in your photo. Did you make that yourself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tamtam View Post
    Thank you Megcsti. That would be great! I would really like it if you could do that for me. That would help out a whole lot. That is a beautiful sweater that you are wearing in your photo. Did you make that yourself?
    Hi Tamtam, yes I made the sweater. I'll post that in the Pictures board later since folks seem to like it :-)

OK, here is how you get perfect rows every time! The first photo shows a marker in place at the end of a row

uneven rolls-100_0472-jpg

When you get to the very last stitch in your row, you turn and chain 1. Make it pretty loose, as they always seem to get tighter no matter what I do anyway!

uneven rolls-100_0475-jpg

The chain 1 you just made is the same thing as a single crochet in the first stitch in the new row, so you will make a single crochet in the second stitch. Then you will insert your stitch marker in the chain 1 loop you made, so you can find it when you come back to that point. So you will have one marker at each end of your rows, holding your chain 1 turning stitch where you can find it. This also is very helpful in HDC, DC TRC, whatever stitch you are using, OK?

uneven rolls-100_0481-jpg

I hope this helps :-)

10. Likes tamtam, bristol2002 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The end of and beginning of the rows may be the problem, I have been crocheting for 50 years and many times the patterns don't tell you to count the first chain as a stitch and I can still have uneven rows. Also make sure your tension is the same always hold your thread the same way, I adjust the way I hold my needle because my hand cramps (arthiritis) but I keep my thread in my hand the same way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Megcsti, Thank you very much! That was very helpful. I think that maybe I am making my chain one stitches at the end of the rolls too tight with the way you explained it. It makes sense if you have it too tight it won't look like a stitch to be used. ( I hope I said that right )