Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: uneven rolls

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you minneyth, yes the end and beginning of the rows is what I have that problems with. You are right about the patterns not letting you know to count the first chain as a stitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tamtam View Post
    Megcsti, Thank you very much! That was very helpful. I think that maybe I am making my chain one stitches at the end of the rolls too tight with the way you explained it. It makes sense if you have it too tight it won't look like a stitch to be used. ( I hope I said that right )
    Tamtam, I found that loose or tight, that ch 1 stitch at the end of a row is really hard to find no matter what. That is why I started marking it, that made my life just so much easier! If you don't have stitch markers, anything that will stay in place can be used. Some folks use a scrap of yarn; if you just tie a loose loop in a bit of yarn, you can use that the same way I use my markers.

Anyway, let us know if that solves it. I am so used to seeing the phrase "counts as first stitch", I didn't realize some patterns leave that detail out! One of the most difficult challenges of advancing skill levels in crochet is figuring out what the pattern writer meant when she wrote the pattern! I have had patterns where I had to read the same line over and over to figure out what was being said, even had to pull out a few rows in a recent project because the pattern was written so differently from what most of us consider normal!

3. Thanks billiebob thanked for this post
    Likes MeerKat liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Also, always count the stitches per row to be sure you have the right amount, then you'll know if that's the problem before you do too many rows and it also helps you to look over the row for mistakes as you count stitches, this is a double helper idea for me and works like a charm to prevent having to go back, while wishing I'd counted and looked for mistakes. Every little tid bit you learn helps in my opinion, and it's a lifelong learning experience, which is a fun challenge!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you SusansSoulShines. Would a stitch counter work? Reason I ask is because I get distracted very easy. Have you ever used one?