Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Post Thanks / Like

Blocking a shawl

Hello,
    I am just finishing up a lace shawl that needs to be blocked. My first question is, do I weave my yarn ends in before or after I block? Second question, what is the best way to block - wet the piece completely first and then block, stretch it and spray it with water or block it and use a steam iron above the surface?
    Nancy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyMcQuade View Post
    Hello,
    I am just finishing up a lace shawl that needs to be blocked. My first question is, do I weave my yarn ends in before or after I block? Second question, what is the best way to block - wet the piece completely first and then block, stretch it and spray it with water or block it and use a steam iron above the surface?
    Nancy
    Hi Nancy,

Yes, weave in your ends first. When I absolutely, positively, must block I prefer to stretch the piece and pin it in place, then use a steam iron above the surface. Push it around gently with your fingers if and where it may need it. That should do it. If not, try one of the other methods.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, weave in your ends first. Steam ironing is fine, but be careful if your yarn is acrylic. I did this with a fuzzy acrylic scarf and it melted the ends, Can't use it now because it is scratchy. I saw one lacy shawl stretched and pinned on a twin bed, then lightly misted and left to dry. This might be your safest way.