Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    All I'm doing is guessing lol. I think I'd take the advice of some one who has done this. I think you have done a wonderful job.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
    Hi - I'm making an afghan that is single crochet with each row worked separately. The pattern requires leaving a 6" tail on each end for fringe.

My question is - once the afghan is complete, do I need to do anything to secure the 6" fringe so that it doesn't unravel the afghan? Or is that a non-issue?

Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Marsha

Hi Marsha,

Beautiful afghan! What I like to do with fringe or tassels that have a raw end is tie a single knot at the very end of each piece of yarn so it doesn't fray. I tie the knot as close to the end as possible and since it's only a single knot it doesn't show. For your project I would trim all the fringe to the same length then tie the knots. That's a lot of knots to tie but if you don't tie the knots you'll wish you had once you launder the afghan.

Good Luck.

Char

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CHARCREATES View Post
    Hi Marsha,

Beautiful afghan! What I like to do with fringe or tassels that have a raw end is tie a single knot at the very end of each piece of yarn so it doesn't fray. I tie the knot as close to the end as possible and since it's only a single knot it doesn't show. For your project I would trim all the fringe to the same length then tie the knots. That's a lot of knots to tie but if you don't tie the knots you'll wish you had once you launder the afghan.

Good Luck.

Char
    Thanks, Char. I had planned on trimming the fringe to a uniform length, and was concerned about fray or unraveling. I'll tie the ends as you suggested (something I can do while watching TV).

Post Thanks / Like
    I Marsha! Beautiful work so far. My sister made and sold many of these Native American style afghans. She would tie the tails by 3's beginning at the edge into an overhand knot and snug it up close to the main body of the afghan, then trim them slightly to even up when finished.

Wendy

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wendyvr View Post
    I Marsha! Beautiful work so far. My sister made and sold many of these Native American style afghans. She would tie the tails by 3's beginning at the edge into an overhand knot and snug it up close to the main body of the afghan, then trim them slightly to even up when finished.

Wendy
    Thanks for the tip, Wendy.

My sister suggested making and selling afghans, but it's a hobby for me that I enjoy, so I'll just make a few here or there for family. I was thinking of getting some graph paper to make some designs to somehow tweak this pattern so some elements remain, but the next one would be different (to hold my interest).

Thanks for the encouragement. It's been a while since I crocheted and I've never done this type of crocheting before, so I'm pleased with how its turning out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by marsharini View Post
    Thanks, Char. I had planned on trimming the fringe to a uniform length, and was concerned about fray or unraveling. I'll tie the ends as you suggested (something I can do while watching TV).
    Good idea. That's a great TV project. Glad I could help. Have a Merry and a Happy!

Char