Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  27
Page 4 of 8 First ... 23456 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DorisAnn View Post
    I am a crochet addict and practicing the art of crochet since 1957. Over the years I have done many crafts in addition to but never in place of crochet. No, I never get tired of crochet however, being an old lady now, I get tired doing crochet and have even fallen asleep in my chair with my project in my lap and a hook in my hand.
    Oh oh when did you see me sleeping with the yarn and hook still n my hands!? Ha ha, just kidding I fall asleep a lot of times and sometimes I just give up and go ahead and take a nap before I fall out of the chair!!. Guess it happens more to us as we get older....just like a baby falling asleep in the middle of it's eating or playing ! I guess it doesn't hurt anything. XOXOXO, Patty

2. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, on Nov. 17th I received my tatting needles, and this is the first thing I made. I used the wrong type of thread (tatting thread isn't fuzzy), but I just wanted to give it a go. I've also made a snowflake and another little medallion, but I couldn't get them to photograph properly. Right now I'm working on a bookmark - or I might turn it into a bracelet - and I'm using the proper thread. There is a definite "art" to this tatting, though. A lot more finicky than crochet, I think. With needle tatting, you work the stitches over a needle, then pull the core thread through. But you have to then push the stitches together and tie a little knot to hold them. Well, you have to be pretty good at compacting the stitches so all your sections are the same size and they look right. Practice makes perfect, right? Or at least better! At least that's what I keep telling myself.
    Do you ever get tired of crocheting?-img_0341as-jpg
    Last edited by Nova55; 12-09-2015 at 11:27 AM.

4. Likes redhead, Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I love it! I got a book but haven't gotten up the courage to learn to needle tat. Maybe this summer!?

6. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's pretty. You're stitches are all about the same size.

8. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post
    Likes redhead liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    good job. I have been shuttle tatting for about 25 yrs now. I like the idea of not having that long thread that you do in needle tatting. I use size 30 thread mostly

10. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is beautiful! I think you have created a new art form, "tatting with yarn instead of thread". I wonder what it would look like using an even thicker yarn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, CharCreates, but no, I didn't create that. When I was looking for needles I discovered there are needles in sizes 0, 1, 2, and 3 meant for chunky, worsted, cotton, and sport weight yarn respectively, but you certainly don't see much tatting in yarns. I did discover a tatting person that does have a tatted scarf in yarn, and you can see it here: Needle Tatting and other Nonsense: Free Tatted Scarf Pattern. It's a skinny scarf and very pretty, done in a variegated purple merino sock yarn. You'll get a better look at it if you go to her site. Click on a photo once and you'll get a large version that'll show you the detail.

Do you ever get tired of crocheting?-tatted-scarf-simplescarf5-jpg
    Last edited by Nova55; 12-10-2015 at 09:52 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Nova,

Gosh, she's got some pretty stuff. I've always been fascinated with tatting and wouldn't mind learning but before I take up yet another craft I must, must, must work on my UFOs. Let's see, hmm, that should be about the year 2065. Maybe.

Char

14. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    when I am not crocheting I am machine embroidering. I make fleece blankets, embroider the persons name on the solid side, and sew the 2 pieces right side together, then clip and turn, sew another border on the outside edge after, whipstitching the opening shut. I just can't stop crocheting and I have a group, I run, called Yarnstars.

16. Likes Nova55 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

For My Mom

Yes, I am really getting into this tatting thing. I finished the bookmark, but I think I'll put a bead at one of the ends, so it can jut out at the top. I hope she likes it!

Do you ever get tired of crocheting?-img_0355as-jpg

BTW, I had a little talk with YS about the size of these pics. He told me if I could find a photo editor (pic monkey is really good, online - no downloading, and free), I could resize the photo there. So that's what I did! And by George, it worked! I knew I gave birth to that boy for some reason.
    Last edited by Nova55; 12-15-2015 at 12:28 PM.

18. Likes Susan2014 liked this post