Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Post Thanks / Like

Need help to understand pattern instructions

Hello everyone,

I have recently started to crochet for the very first time, I'm getting on ok but I need a bit of help with the next few steps.

The pattern says
    Rnds 8-12 Dc. (5 rnds).
    Rnd 13 Dc30, (dc4, dc2tog) 3 times. (45)

Am I correct in thinking for rounds 8 to 12 that I continue from round 7 which has 48 stitches and just make 5 rounds of double crochet each round with 48 dc stitches?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I'm completely stuck on round 13 instructions, help in plain English will be much appreciated.

Apologies if I appear daft but as I said this is the first time I've ever attempted crochet, so you'll probably find me on here again at some point asking for more help!

Thanks in advance

Post Thanks / Like
    Correct on Rnds 8-12. Rnd 13 is dc in 30 sts then do (dc in 4 sts ,then dc2tog{a dec}) repeat ()3 times,will end with 45 sts. Hope this helps.

3. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much, just completed round 9. I'll pop back on for more help if I get stuck further on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie11 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I have recently started to crochet for the very first time, I'm getting on ok but I need a bit of help with the next few steps.

The pattern says
    Rnds 8-12 Dc. (5 rnds).
    Rnd 13 Dc30, (dc4, dc2tog) 3 times. (45)

Am I correct in thinking for rounds 8 to 12 that I continue from round 7 which has 48 stitches and just make 5 rounds of double crochet each round with 48 dc stitches?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Also I'm completely stuck on round 13 instructions, help in plain English will be much appreciated.

Apologies if I appear daft but as I said this is the first time I've ever attempted crochet, so you'll probably find me on here again at some point asking for more help!

Thanks in advance
    Ho Josie, you don't appear daft at all - some patterns aren't written with enough standards, explanation as far as notes and/or special stitches, or anything extra to help the person following it - and some patterns or parts of patterns are just plain confounding no matter how new you are to crochet or if you've crocheted for 40 yrs, lol!

You're correct about rounds 8-12. Exactly!

Round 13 in explanation means to do 1dc in each of 30 stitches totaling 30 dc stitches in a row, one time only and that's it for that instruction. Then after you do those 30 dc, you do the set of stitches in parenthesis three times...
    so you dc1 in ea of 4 stitches in a row totaling 4dc (in a row) and then dc2tog once turning 2 stitches into 1 (decreasing) totaling 1 dc, then repeat those sets of st in the parenthesis three times. Ea set = 5 dc st in a row (coming from doing 4dc in a row plus 1 more st made from the dc2tog dec).
    So, when you add all your stitches, add the dc30 that = total of 30 dc stitches in a row once, plus the dc4 three times which = a total of 12 stitches (not in a row), and the dc2tog turning 2 stitches into 1 three times which = a total of 3 stitches (not in a row), you get 30 + 12 + 3 = 45 total dc st for round 13.

I hope all of that makes sense, if not, let me know. Good luck!

p.s. I'm so sorry I didn't see that SharonO has already helped you, but I'll just leave mine.
    It's nice to meet you, what are you making?
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-06-2015 at 08:18 PM.

6. Likes spoula liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Susan, thanks for your reply it's very helpful.

I am attempting a stuffed toy from a book my friend had. I certainly I saw it I thought I gave to try crochet as I adored the animals.

The book is Edwards menagerie Edward's Menagerie: Over 40 soft and snuggly toy animal crochet patterns https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/14463047..._tNBpwb1QS63Z3

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Josie11 View Post
    Hi Susan, thanks for your reply it's very helpful.

I am attempting a stuffed toy from a book my friend had. I certainly I saw it I thought I gave to try crochet as I adored the animals.

The book is Edwards menagerie Edward's Menagerie: Over 40 soft and snuggly toy animal crochet patterns https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/14463047..._tNBpwb1QS63Z3
    I'm glad my reply helped some. And you may already know some of this but they might help you with some Amigurumi basics in general, at least I hope they will! Those animals are SO adorable!!

Amigurumi Tutorial for Beginners - Bing video

(Donna is patient and calm, a very good instructor)

part 1 of 2

part 2 of 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Josie,
    I read it this way. Rnds. 8-12 Dc. (5 rnds.) is dc for rnds 8-12 which is 5 rnds. So at the end of rnd.12 you have 48 stitches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello SusanSoulshines,
    I think your explanation was very precise and very helpful. It is so true rather you are a beginner or have been crocheting for years some patterns are difficult to understand.
    I like your post.
    Spoula

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Josie,
    How is your pattern coming?