Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Finishing: Multiple Colors

Any secrets to finishing a stripped pattern?

4 different colors/stripes are only 4 rows each. Have a (zillion) ends.

I know I could try crocheting them in but they really don't stay that well and it always shows. If I sew them in as I am going, I would have to stop every 4 rows. If I do neither I end up with a mess i.e. a zillion ends to figure out what to do with. Hum...now I remember why I don't usually do multi colors...

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know if this will help but I sew ends in when there are 6 -8 to do. Doesn't take long and I am back to crocheting. That solves doing so many at the end.

3. Thanks lehmankm thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't have much luck with crocheting over my ends so I prefer to sew them all in with a tapestry needle. I don't wait until I'm completely finished to start sewing in my ends. I like to sew in 4-6 ends at a time. It works for me.

Shelley

5. Thanks lehmankm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Pixieglitter,you and I are on the same page with the tapestry needle and with doing ends every few rows. I even purchased a needle with an extra large eye for working with bulkier yarns.

Post Thanks / Like

Question Thanks Everyone: Had New Idea?

Was thinking about cutting long strands of each color I am working with, twisting them together and weaving around the edges (encompassing all the loose threads). What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lehmankm View Post
    Any secrets to finishing a stripped pattern?

4 different colors/stripes are only 4 rows each. Have a (zillion) ends.

I know I could try crocheting them in but they really don't stay that well and it always shows. If I sew them in as I am going, I would have to stop every 4 rows. If I do neither I end up with a mess i.e. a zillion ends to figure out what to do with. Hum...now I remember why I don't usually do multi colors...
    Are the ends long enough to work into an edging, or maybe an edge will cover them up? Maybe you can weave them into the WS on the piece or the edge? just trying to suggest ideas!

Post Thanks / Like
    I prefer to thread a tapestry needle and sew the ends in, and it doesn't take long to do it, either. I find when I crochet over the ends, they always peek out or come loose in the wash.
    ---HarriEtta

10. Thanks lehmankm thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was thinking about cutting long strands of each color I am working with, twisting them together and weaving around the edges (encompassing all the loose threads). What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by imalefty View Post
    Pixieglitter,you and I are on the same page with the tapestry needle and with doing ends every few rows. I even purchased a needle with an extra large eye for working with bulkier yarns.
    I usually weave in ends with a tapestry needle after I get about 4-6 at the most on a row end, they drive me crazy knowing they just keep adding up if I don't! I use long tails & weave over, under and back and forth... no way are my ends gonna come undone, lol, and if I happen to need a color change or add a ball in mid row I partially hold ends down to crochet over them, and weave them too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetdiva View Post
    I prefer to thread a tapestry needle and sew the ends in, and it doesn't take long to do it, either. I find when I crochet over the ends, they always peek out or come loose in the wash.
    Hey lady, how r u?! She mentioned that but I think she was just thinking of trying something different so ends wouldn't be seen on edges, I suggested weaving and then adding an edge. Depending on my yarn I use a steel needle or a big blue plastic one that a very nice lady sent me when I tested a lovely turquoise wrap pattern for her!

14. Likes crochetdiva liked this post