Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you so much - I "thought" that is what it was, but I can confuse myself. (fifteen came from using 3 x5) - sorry to have confused you - thanks again for always being there for anyone with a question.
    Ruth

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ruth,
    2 can go into 2 once so 2+1=3. If you want to increase the pattern 5 times that would be 3x5. That's the way I see it. Maybe I'm wrong. Someone else probably could help you better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria44 View Post
    I started doing crochet about a month ago and understand all the abbreviations in English and American I have done a few patterns by following videos and have done 1 pattern from a magazine and was ok doing this so I ordered a pattern online it was a amigurumi pattern but I have trouble with one of the instructions. I have followed one of these patterns and increased fine with the right number of stitches but I do not understand this one. Here it is *sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc* sc [23].
    My last round had 18 stitches. I thaught *mean you repeat over and over what was in the * but I can not work out how 23 stitches come out of this.
    Hope this isn't to complicated to understand
    Hi Victoria, This isn't an answer for your question but these are some good Ami learning videos that I like, maybe you & others who want to learn Ami will like them too!
    For things like Ami I like to watch other people actually doing it, then I can grasp it better.
    The first one isn't a video but each photo block has a whole lot of info you'll see when you put your cursor over the block!

Tips and tutorials | lilleliis

Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 11-04-2015 at 05:07 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    We all try to be so helpful to each other, and I love that about this group! Thx to everyone in general who answers questions because I read as many as I can to get free crochet lessons all the time - yall are so great! This group is a fun & educational place to be, as well as a good place to come for comfort and advice of all kinds. Many times it makes my day better to stop in here and read as much as I can. Thx again for all that everyone in here does!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi, Gloria. I find it very hard to understand all of the different ways used to arrive an answer. Let me try to put it into my thinking. First, I am thinking you start with 18 sts. and want to go to the next row and end that row with 23 stitches. Right? Ok, I get there like this: 18 + 5 = 23 (I get the 5 sts like this.). Increased stitch:
    Sc,inc means increase in one sc. - - - - - - 1 increase made
    2sc,inc. means 1 sc and then increase in 1 sc. - - - - - - - 1 increase made
    3 sc,inc. means 2 sc and then increase in the 3rd sc. - - - 1 increase made
    2sc,inc. means 1 sc and then increase in 1 sc. - - - - - - - 1 increase made
    3sc,inc. means. 2 sc and then increase in the 3rd sc. - - - 1 increase made
    Last stitch is a. Sc. - no increase here. Now you have 23 stitches.

You will see, there is only 1 increase within each group (2 sc then 3sc and so forth).

It would be your choice which sc you want to increase in - eg. 1st or 2nd of two, and 1st, 2nd, or 3rd of the 3sc.
    This is how my brain simplified it. Good luck.
    Last edited by Jheri; 11-06-2015 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Make number column at right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MsBhaven View Post
    Victoria there are only 22 stitches let me help by clearing it up for you sc, inc, 2sc, inc, 3sc, inc, 2sc, inc, 3sc, inc, sc [23]. the inc is 2sc in one stitch
    sc, inc = 3 stitches using 2 stitches

2sc, inc = 4 stitches using 3 stitches

3sc, inc = 5 stitches using 4 stitches

2sc, inc = 4 stitches using 3 stitches

3sc, inc = 5 stitches using 4 stitches

sc = 1 stitch using 1 stitch

so there is one stitch missing since you have 18 stitches in your last round and this only adds up to using 17 stitches. I would check to see if there is a correction to this pattern

as for the * * in pattern reading you would normally repeat. All I can say is ( not trying to offend anyone ) not all patterns are written correctly
    That last line so so true, and it doesn't matter if it's a free pattern or one you purchase. They've obviously not been tested
    before published, or even if they were there could be a typo after the fact. Designers need to be sure to use proper crochet standards when writing their patterns, and double check these patterns before releasing them. And when they make mistakes on them they need to either correct for free if it's a paid pattern, or make it up to the buyer in some way, also for free they should apologize and acknowledge it and give that customer something for their trouble.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    We all try to be so helpful to each other, and I love that about this group! Thx to everyone in general who answers questions because I read as many as I can to get free crochet lessons all the time - yall are so great! This group is a fun & educational place to be, as well as a good place to come for comfort and advice of all kinds. Many times it makes my day better to stop in here and read as much as I can. Thx again for all that everyone in here does!
    Susan! thank you so much for finding this video on ami's! I want to do more ami's and this will certainly help me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by victoria44 View Post
    I started doing crochet about a month ago and understand all the abbreviations in English and American I have done a few patterns by following videos and have done 1 pattern from a magazine and was ok doing this so I ordered a pattern online it was a amigurumi pattern but I have trouble with one of the instructions. I have followed one of these patterns and increased fine with the right number of stitches but I do not understand this one. Here it is *sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc*, *2sc,inc*, *3sc,inc* sc [23].
    My last round had 18 stitches. I thaught *mean you repeat over and over what was in the * but I can not work out how 23 stitches come out of this.
    Hope this isn't to complicated to understand
    Hi Victoria,
    I looked at the pattern again and I read it this way:sc,inc - single crochet and then increase in next stitch = 3 sc's
    2sc,inc - 2 single crochets and then in next stitch increase = 4 sc's and so on