Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  18
Page 1 of 4 123 ... Last

Thread: Yarn Storage?

Post Thanks / Like

Yarn Storage?

I'm curious as to how ya'll store your yarn. I was using storage tubs (which was a pain and hassle), but finally have my yarn out and easy to grab! I find it so much easier to find what I am looking for now that its neater and more organized.
    How do you store your yarn? Do you categorize it by color, brand, etc?

Yarn Storage?-img_3691-jpg

2. Likes karenlatlas, Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Cute idea. I have mine in large totes and try to do the same color, or similar in them.

4. Likes Southernrain55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    That is a good idea. I have mine in boxes. I have so much trying to use them up so I can buy new. It build up over the years. But I am a yarn a holic anyway

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in CA and the dust here is just awful! The only way you could keep a house clean is to keep it closed up year-round, and since we don't have central air, that's not an option. As it is, I always keep the doors closed on my craft room. I love your storage unit, but if I tried that my yarn would be coated in dust/silt in no time! I use the kind of cardboard storage boxes that are used to store file folders (I bought a multi-pack at Walmart) and I just tape a note on the outside so I know what's inside the box. I find they aren't too heavy for me and they stack well. The only "pain" is when I need something from the bottom box - oh well, it's exercise, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss Shirley View Post
    That is a good idea. I have mine in boxes. I have so much trying to use them up so I can buy new. It build up over the years. But I am a yarn a holic anyway
    Oh goodness I am too!! I can't seem to STOP. There's nothing like starting a new project and already having what you need.
    When I had mine in the storage tubs...it felt like I spent most of my time straightening up my mess when looking for a color. Lol.
    <<~| Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. |~>>

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nova55 View Post
    I live in CA and the dust here is just awful! The only way you could keep a house clean is to keep it closed up year-round, and since we don't have central air, that's not an option. As it is, I always keep the doors closed on my craft room. I love your storage unit, but if I tried that my yarn would be coated in dust/silt in no time! I use the kind of cardboard storage boxes that are used to store file folders (I bought a multi-pack at Walmart) and I just tape a note on the outside so I know what's inside the box. I find they aren't too heavy for me and they stack well. The only "pain" is when I need something from the bottom box - oh well, it's exercise, right?
    I can totally understand the problem with dust! Perhaps you could use Ziploc bags to put the yarn in before adding them to a shelf. That way you could still see the colors too.
    When I was using storage tubs, I sat my yarn in standing up so that I could see the colors better and not have to dig quite as much. I felt like I was constantly digging and carrying. Lol. Exercise and I don't get along very well. Hahaha
    <<~| Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. |~>>

9. Likes Nova55 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered one of the shoe storage things. they come in assorted sizes, and I wish mine was bigger. It is light weight, has several, like a plastic cloth (?) of some sort, shelves, with rods. The yarn is completely covered, so no dust problems, and has a zippered cover in the front. Easy access and pretty cheap. I try to store by color and type.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lissacc View Post
    I ordered one of the shoe storage things. they come in assorted sizes, and I wish mine was bigger. It is light weight, has several, like a plastic cloth (?) of some sort, shelves, with rods. The yarn is completely covered, so no dust problems, and has a zippered cover in the front. Easy access and pretty cheap. I try to store by color and type.
    That's a REALLY good idea!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to know I am not the only one. LOL I have mine in shelves by color..easy to find. But today some of it is going to the Senior Citizens Center. I will never get it all made into something. I'm keeping the ones that I like and know for sure I will crochet into something. Have fun

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the storage bags that you can take the air out of. It helps with stacking.