Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 4 First 1234 Last

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Okay so I finished the baby blanket I was making with Boucle yarn. I like the way it turned out, it's so soft and squishy. I finally got my momentum going with the yarn and then it worked up quickly. Even though it's baby yarn, I used a size I hook and had to crochet very loosely. I'm pleased with it.

Shelley
    What a pretty afghan! just love it! some lucky baby will get to be warmed by your lovely work!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by crochetdiva View Post
    Hey, Susan, your paragraph 4: If I don't like a pattern, I mark it "don't use" and why I don't want to use it. I use the yarn for something I do like. You're a doll, thanks for all your kind words. Praying for you. Peace & love, ---harrietta
    Hey my lady, I hear that, but I was more referring to new patterns as I come across them that I don't know I don't like yet! Like certain styles of tops that won't work for my body shape, like dropped shoulders or a top that has a ribbed binding around the bottom, you know what I mean, I think that 'unflattering' is a good word to use here!
    I can tell now as I'm bookmarking tops if they'll be one that will look good on me or not, because I know they won't end up looking like anything in my closet that I wear now! And using bulky yarn for tops, like a popular chunky yarn shrug just won't do for me. It has to have a fine weight yarn to keep from looking like a blanket wrapped around my body, lol!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by missro007 View Post
    The blankie is nice!! I made a poncho from a Lion brand kit from that yarn 10 years ago. The pattern required an H hook but to see n feel the stiches I went up a hook size. THEN, I had to buy more yarn because it was super long & lm only 5 feet so I gave it to my son's mother-in-law. She's a 6 footer & she loves it!! It is hard to see the stitches but the end result is so petty! !
    I can use Homespun good now and can seven see the stitches now, but boucle puts me in a bind I don't like!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pixieglitter View Post
    Here's a photo of what I've been dealing with. Ugh. Never again.

Shelley
    Yeah, what a mess, huh, isn't it frustrating?! I mentioned Homespun in another post about how I like using it now and can see the stitches in it and not just feel them, but it does hurt my arm if I do it too long at a time. But boucle is odd and I'd love to use what I have since it's very pretty, but I've tried it a few times and haven't got it yet. I'll try again but I may give it up, not sure yet!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by missro007 View Post
    The blankie is nice!! I made a poncho from a Lion brand kit from that yarn 10 years ago. The pattern required an H hook but to see n feel the stiches I went up a hook size. THEN, I had to buy more yarn because it was super long & lm only 5 feet so I gave it to my son's mother-in-law. She's a 6 footer & she loves it!! It is hard to see the stitches but the end result is so petty! !
    I have a ton of skeins of Pipsqueak yarn, which is also a type of Boucle yarn. I love the super soft outcome, but what a major pain it is to crochet with! It's seriously about the softest yarn I've ever used. I have it in all kinds of pretty baby colors, both variegated and solids. I'm not going to return any of it, I bought it all online and I don't have the receipt anymore. My sister is trying to get pregnant again and I plan to make her a couple of super soft baby blankets using it.

Pipsqueak yarn (and a lot of other Boucle yarn) is a type of yarn where you cannot see your stitches. You have to "feel" them while you're working on your project. Feeling your stitches as you're crocheting makes for a lot of mistakes, but thankfully, Boucle yarn is very "forgiving" with missed stitches. You can't see them at all!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    I can use Homespun good now and can seven see the stitches now, but boucle puts me in a bind I don't like!
    Susan, I think Homespun yarn is a type of Boucle. I've steered clear of it myself, even though it's so super soft and luxurious.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like

Boucle Yarn nightmare!!

I too, bought some lovely baby boucle yarn to make a blanket. Hated the stuff. I just used a larger needle and that made it much easier to deal with the boucle. I donated the rest to the Ladies Auxiliary. I have never purchased it again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan, you won't give up on that boucle you have, but you just might not buy any more. It is a very pretty yarn.
    ---HarriEtta

Post Thanks / Like

boucle

Quote Originally Posted by DonnaPBradshaw View Post
    I have a dumb question, does it say boucle yarn on the package? or do you have to know what kind of yarn it is before buying it?
    Hi Donna, I'm not saying this as a cliche, I truly feel there is truly no dumb question about crochet or anything really, it's simply how you learn. That's how you benefit from others who already know what you want to know, it saves you time and frustration to learn from other people's experience!

Yes, Boucle is on the label as the type of the yarn, and it is considered a bulky weight of usually 5 or 6, and like Homespun it's not exactly that chunky looking to me, it's somewhat fuzzy and crinkly with a piece of thread running through it. I really do feel it works best with open or lacy stitches, using a big hook like K or more.

Post Thanks / Like

boucle

..........oops, can't delete this messed up quote!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 08-08-2015 at 07:53 PM.