Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  6
Page 3 of 3 First 123

Thread: Ponchos

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mash52 View Post
    SusanSoulShines, I would even begin to know how to write a pattern. Looks to hard. I never tried. I don't know how to even try. Where do you start at? Or how do you know where to start?
    My way is to find stitches that I like, or make variations of existing ones which is rarely necessary with the countless stitches that exist but you can combine a group of stitches and make something called like a "shell", or a "cluster" or similar, and they're sometimes the same in patterns but often a little different.

I'm always looking through my books of stitches or online at like at New Stitch A Day, or on videos tutorials or misc websites. I've sometimes already decided what I want to make, or I just think a stitch will make a good headband for ex. So I decide the general or exact overall look of the piece I want, sketch it out, noting where I want to use which stitches and begin crocheting.

Sometimes you have to frog a row or a few to get the look you want, but eventually it takes shape and sometimes I change my mind in the middle of things and make those changes, and keep working on it till I've got it like I want it. Sometimes ideas just come to mind, or I might look to other pattern for inspiration of others patterns. That's a compliment to another designer, by the way, not stealing designs.

Not many patterns have the exact same stitches but in a different layout, and I've seen some almost exact patterns where two people separately decided certain stitch would make a good infinity scarf for example, it happens a lot actually, but most patterns are original from an individual's own creation.

It's a little hard at first for some pieces, but some are very easy to write. I include all notes, needed for the person following the pattern, all materials needed incl yarn type, brand, weight, hook size, special stitch notes, etc. I make sure to use and go by all CGOA standards (Crochet guild of America) so my patterns will be easy to understand and be correctly written. I add my copyright notice to it, make a pdf file from it.

Next I make sure people can find it so I post it on Ravelry, Craftsy, I used to post them on my crochet blog website, and I also post them in fb groups that allow paid or free. I also post on sites like Crochet Pattern Bonanza, The Yarn Box, Crochteville, Crochet Community, sites that collect patterns and rotate them on their front page, grouping them for people to find say shawls, or aprons, etc, and they list them for anyone to get, some do free only, but some do both free or paid.

That's basically all there is to it, and it really is more than I ever thought it would involve! You have to love it and really want to do it! Some people make a real business out of it and some just sort of do it for fun.
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 07-15-2015 at 03:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Ponchos

Nice Ponchos. I like the last one without fringe, very pretty!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SusansSoulShines View Post
    I designed this one last year and it's selling well! I love it, it's so soft and not too hot. It's made with both Caron's Simply Soft and Red Heart Soft: Picot Poncho

It's on both Craftsy and Ravelry for a small fee because I wrote instructions for 9 sizes and it took me quite a while to do it! I'm not trying to sell it to you, I'm just letting you know it's not one of my free patterns, but I do have quite a few free ones.

Attachment 12805

Attachment 12806

Attachment 12807

Attachment 12808
    Hi Susan,
    That's a pretty poncho!