Thanks Thanks:  22
Likes Likes:  14
Page 1 of 11 123 ... Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Thread Tips please

I've done most crocheting with different yarns and stitches. If anyone has some tips on using threads please let me know. I tend to choose difficult patterns. What articles can be made with thread? I put some of my attempts under OOPS! Anyway thanks for the help!!
    LadyellaONE DAY AT A TIME

Post Thanks / Like
    Ladyella, you can make almost anything with thread that you can with yarn. I tend to make a lot of doilies, although I have begun to look for different items like the pincushion I posted in Pictures Forum. I made shamrocks for this month (the pattern was for a coaster but with thread it was small enough for an applique) and little red hearts for Valentines Day in February. I am working on crosses for Easter. The amigurumi animals are really popular right now and there are some really cute ones. Coasters are an easy way to start with thread since they don't take much time or thread. You have lots of choices. I wish you luck since I really enjoy working with thread and hope you do too.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi sapphire43, thank you for the information. I don't know many people who crochet with thread, so I would like to do some. I have some ideas but I will have to build a new skill set. I have been told you tension has to be very consistent. ♥

Post Thanks / Like
    Three dimensional ornaments that can be starched, snowflakes, appliques, thread berets, possibilities are endless.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Roe - the possibilities are endless. Yes, your tension needs to be consistent for your item to look smooth and finished. It takes some practice but well worth the effort. Start with something small like coasters and make several for practice. It is something useful and doesn't matter much if you "mess up" or doesn't look quite perfect. Lots of practice!!
    Beverly

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Ladyella,

I make crochet name doilies with size #10 thread. I mat them and frame them and give them as gifts. They make great wedding gifts. Here is a photo of the one I made for us.
    Thread Tips please-dscn7119-jpg

~~ Hugs, Jo
    Last edited by dancingbaehr; 03-05-2015 at 11:54 AM.
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

7. Thanks Rogue Hobbies thanked for this post
    Likes trueblue2007 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jo, you do nice work. A name doily is something I haven't done yet. I have done some filet but my last name is quite long so I haven't attempted it. Filet is one that requires consistent tension in your work, don't you agree?
    Beverly

The town of West Chester, in Cincinnati, Ohio
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by sapphire43 View Post
    Jo, you do nice work. A name doily is something I haven't done yet. I have done some filet but my last name is quite long so I haven't attempted it. Filet is one that requires consistent tension in your work, don't you agree?
    Yes, constant tension makes your finished project look nicer. But, I think that is true in all crocheting.
    A Travelling Baehr Gathers No Moss!!

10. Likes trueblue2007 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Change pattern size?

If you find a pattern that you like but it calls for yarn, can it be made with thread? That would change the size of your work right? Can you make the pattern in thread or is there a way you can make the same size as the yarn one?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Beverly, you stated that anything made with yarn can be made with thread. Doesn't that change the dimensions, or is there a way to make them equal?