Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Post Thanks / Like

Made my 1st handbag!

I'm am just thrilled... this is my new Tote/Handbag, made of (17) 6X6 squares attached with a front single crochet stitching, lined, and with a great idea for enforced handles - voila, my bag is done. How exciting this is for me to have accomplished! It didn't take very long either... I really like the sc stitching that makes a 'ridge' between squares on the outside instead of them being sewn together flat.

The one square with the red in it was put there on purpose, I had 2 of them, so there is one on the other side too. Thx to a good friend who gave me the material last year because she developed eye problems and her sewing machine had been needing repairs, she thought I might be able to use it some day... well I sure did! I think it matched nicely for the lining. I feel so badly for her though because sewing was her lifelong specialty. The green trim seemed to work as a good break in so much gold, as pretty as the gold is of course. It's Carons Simply Soft maize color.

If it had been 4X4 squares I might have used a 24 square layout, but I like it nice and big as it is! The entire tutorial for the bag pattern will be on a near future blog post for those of you who might like to make one like it.

Made my 1st handbag!-tote-jpg

Made my 1st handbag!-tote-lining-1-jpg

Made my 1st handbag!-tote-close-lining-jpg

Made my 1st handbag!-tote-outside-handles-jpg

Made my 1st handbag!-tote-handles-jpg
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-09-2015 at 04:37 AM.

2. Thanks Nova55 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What a great looking bag. I like the one different square on each side, gives it its own personality. I have made little basic rectangular bags for my friend's great-niece and also lined them too. And doubled the strap so it would be stronger (that is always my fear that the straps aren't stronger). I have bought handles and looking at your bag, the handles may fit. I would like the pattern (in your spare time, LOL) when you post it on your blog.

Happy crocheting.

Roe

Post Thanks / Like
    You did such a wonderful job on your first handbag. Congratulations!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cessie View Post
    You did such a wonderful job on your first handbag. Congratulations!
    Thank you, I was surprised myself how easy it seemed to be to do this!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by LI Roe View Post
    What a great looking bag. I like the one different square on each side, gives it its own personality. I have made little basic rectangular bags for my friend's great-niece and also lined them too. And doubled the strap so it would be stronger (that is always my fear that the straps aren't stronger). I have bought handles and looking at your bag, the handles may fit. I would like the pattern (in your spare time, LOL) when you post it on your blog.

Happy crocheting.

Roe
    Thank you Roe! I cut and put a strip of a super strong leathery/rubbery type of material that we had here at home inside a sc casing, and then sewed them in tightly in the corner of the squares. They won't stretch for sure!
    Someone else recommended using that mesh-like material that you can cross stitch and latch hook in, also to use that in some hat brims as well. There is also a material that people use to make belts that you can use inside crochet handles. Just FYI for ideas for reference!
    Sent you a p.m.

7. Likes Brokendove liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    looks nice Susan

Post Thanks / Like
    Susan..That is a great looking bag. I really like how you display it!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Marie View Post
    looks nice Susan
    Thank you Jean

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by drruth View Post
    Susan..That is a great looking bag. I really like how you display it!
    Thx so much drruth! This was something I watched a lot of videos about, whether to buy or make and reinforce crocheted handles, making the squares and laying them out in a pattern, and then the attaching them, lining an odd shaped bag like this that's not perfectly square - there was a lot involved but I didn't have any trouble with it at all. Seems like sometimes I can do the more difficult and involved projects easier than some of the seemingly easy stuff, lol! I plan to make more handbags, no reason not to have choices of some to pick from, right?!
    Last edited by SusansSoulShines; 02-19-2015 at 09:14 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh Susan, you did a fantastic job on your first handbag! I love it! I especially was interested in how you made the handles. You did a really wonderful job on it! It's beautiful!

Shelley