Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
    Post Thanks / Like

Wood Crochet Hooks

I have several wood hooks that my mom bought for me. They're beautiful and I think they probably cost her about $25 each. But I don't like using them. The shafts are completely round, without a flat place. When I use them they tend to "roll" in my hand so the hook end moves around. They're very frustrating to use. I hold my hook like a pencil and use the flat part to keep it from rolling around.

It's a shame I can't use them. Keep this in mind when you buy new hooks.

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley... do you have a professional carpenter (not the kind who works construction) ... or perhaps a cabinet maker, in your vicinity? Or even a hobbiest carpenter? I would take him the wood hooks and samples of hooks to show him what you want. Could be a solution for you!
    Freedom is not the right to do as you please, but the liberty to do as you ought!

Post Thanks / Like
    Shelley, I know exactly what you're talking about. I hold my hooks the same way. When I have admired the wooden hooks I've seen on the internet, I know they wouldn't work for me for the same reason. However, I still look and admire! Have you considered slipping on one of the rubber cushions that are sold at Hobby Lobby? My daughter uses them on her larger hooks when crocheting with yarn.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Beverly, having someone cut a small flat part in my wooden hooks is a wonderful idea! I've got several friends who can do that for me. I'll have to ask them to cut a small flat space in my hooks.

Not sure the rubber pencil cushions would be good to me. Seems like they'd be too fat or thick. Maybe?

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't use the rubbery cushions on my hooks I guess because I've crocheted so long without it just doesn't bother me much. By the way, it was Poinciana who suggested the professional carpenter to alter your hooks. It sounds like the perfect solution. If you do this, please let us know if you like how the hooks feel.
    How is your weather up there? I'm looking forward to Spring.
    Beverly

"A desire to craft is one of the deepest yearnings of the human soul!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Beverly, it's snowing cats and dogs up here in the Tennessee Valley of North Alabama. We've already got almost 2 inches in less than an hour. Waaaaay too much snow for us. We can't handle it here and it's already paralyzed the entire city of Huntsville. Guess I won't have to go to work again tomorrow, too bad I'll be stuck inside crocheting finishing up a baby blanket I've been working on. Fine with me!

Shelley

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pixieglitter;160420]Beverly, it's snowing cats and dogs up here in the Tennessee Valley of North Alabama. We've already got almost 2 inches in less than an hour. Waaaaay too much snow for us. We can't handle it here and it's already paralyzed the entire city of Huntsville. Guess I won't have to go to work again tomorrow, too bad I'll be stuck inside crocheting finishing up a baby blanket I've been working on. Fine with me! :)

Shelley[/QUOTE]

Wow, and we aren't getting anymore than a dusting or maybe a light coating. Don't want any more snow. But if you do have to go out, please be careful.

Gee, I like being stuck in the house when it is snowing and I can just hang out and crochet. I'm with you!!!

Roe

8. Likes Susan2014 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Pixieglitter;160386]I have several wood hooks that my mom bought for me. They're beautiful and I think they probably cost her about $25 each. But I don't like using them. The shafts are completely round, without a flat place. When I use them they tend to "roll" in my hand so the hook end moves around. They're very frustrating to use. I hold my hook like a pencil and use the flat part to keep it from rolling around.

It's a shame I can't use them. Keep this in mind when you buy new hooks.

Shelley[/QUOTE]

I have wooden hooks and I have used them occasionally but never noticed if they are round or not. Now I will have to go look at them (if I can remember what wicker picnic basket they are in, LOL). What about a little bit of duct tape around it? Would that help in not rolling around?

Roe

10. Likes Susan2014 liked this post